Compare Harris and Trump phone calls asking Walz and Vance to join them: the difference is striking (video)

Originally published at: Compare Harris and Trump phone calls asking Walz and Vance to join them: the difference is striking (video) - Boing Boing

7 Likes

Video for BBS:

I couldn’t find a non-Xitter version of the other one…

20 Likes

To say nothing of how Trump recently answered an interviewer’s question about Vance by explaining that the VP pick doesn’t really matter.

21 Likes

I think that’s an excellent slogan for a sign to wave at JDV. “…the choice of the vice president makes no difference. - DJT.” I mean most people would actually at least be a bit embarrassed by that statement after being picked; I suspect JD there would just salivate and think “Oh boy! They’re talking about me!”

22 Likes

So, you’re saying he’s the Mike Wazowski of VP picks?

15 Likes

Decent human beings…remember when that used to be a thing?

20 Likes

:clap:t5: :bangbang:

22 Likes

Gotta love that product placement around him while he talks too…that’s just, what’s the word…WEIRD.

10 Likes

And the extreme man-spreading tells me all I need to know about his lack of common courtesy.

7 Likes

If these two phone calls don’t sum up the vibe that each duo would bring to the White House and thus the entire country, I don’t know what does.

I’ve always been impressed by the choices of URL https://democrats.org/ vs. https://gop.com/ .

5 Likes

So one is using the TLD intended for non-profits and other collective organizations – groups (usually) with a helpful group focus. The other is using the one designated for commercial purposes. Yeah, sounds about right.

9 Likes

Not just the URLs. When you visit the sites themselves, the Democrats use the 1st person plural throughout. It’s “we do this and that” and “let’s elect Democrats together”. The GOP site is entirely in the 2nd person imperative: “Join the millions of Americans fighting every day to keep our country free” and “Protect the vote”. They demand, the Democrats invite and include.

There’s so much more that could be said, but I’m sure someone has analysed this to death somewhere already. Bright colours vs. dark. .org vs .com. People vs flags. Sans serif vs serif

14 Likes

This, among normally socially skilled persons, would probably count as a joke, and elicit a laugh.

Coming from TFG, it still is a “joke”, as I think his idea of joke is “something unpleasantly put, so that I can have fun in reasserting my power over you and making you uncomfortable”

6 Likes

The other differences you note are all very good catches, but what is one supposed to infer from the font choice?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Modernity vs tradition is what I take from it. Or progressivism vs conservatism. Also a cleanness of thought vs a clattered mind.

All of this is ironic because I’m personally a big fan of traditional typography and would prefer a traditional look in most cases. And yet, in this case the combination of sans serif display face with serif text works just so much better than using a serif italic as a headline. I wish it were possible to incorporate pre-modernist typography in web design in a way that doesn’t make it look bad but that seems as difficult a tightrope walk as my eternal quest to incorporate more prep into my summer wardrobe without looking like a douche.

7 Likes

Speaking as someone who is not dyslexic but who downloaded the dyslexic font because one of my children is, only to discover how much easier it is for ME to read in that font as well, I would argue that sans serif is a more egalitarian font that can be easily read by more people. It’s about providing access whenever and wherever possible.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.