Comparing a $100 bass to a $10,000 bass

Thank you for getting hung up on the semantics of my example? Even a bass will have lows, mids and highs though, and objectively comparing all the instruments would be helpful for newbies (at a quick glance of those soundwaves) and for more experienced players (really digging into what those differences mean).

I honestly have no idea why other bass guitars don’t narrow. Damned hard enough to play as it is. I thought I could move easily from classical guitar to bass. Hey! Two less strings HAH!

1 Like

I saw them a few weeks ago. One of the most entertaining and engaging live shows I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

You are dead right about the old school bassists. They can really bring it. Thanks for the Vulfpeck link. That hits my happy place too.

Here’s Garrett Sayers with The Motet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XiZ8njyfE

1 Like

I think you might have turned me on to them, so thanks for that :slight_smile:

These guys always look like they’re having so much fun.

unless you’re implying that he used a $9900 processor, I don’t see what your point is.

Old school bass guitarists. When I think old school bass, I think Milt Hinton, Ray Brown, John Clayton, etc, all the old school upright players. I love listening to those guys. I can practically feel the gut strings coated with thick layers of rosin whenever I listen.

If you want upright wizardry, look no further than Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen

1 Like

Ok folks. Here is the weird Japanese bass player (oh yes, you can google that). I can’t even …

weird Japanese bass player

Now, while that was definitely weird, it doesn’t quite show just how awesome this guy is. The next one came to my attention because a Republican ad got a link spectacularly wrong. This is beyond awesome.

Fuwa Fuwa Time

My God, he makes it look so easy…

Finally had a chance to check the video. Aside from the obvious questions already raised about the amp, signal chain and post production, the reason I find this just a bit off is that the “comparison” here is between three totally different configurations of bass guitars.

The body shapes of a Precision bass (or clone) vs a Jazz bass vs a unique shape and the configuration and placement of the pickups and the electronics inside the bass (aside from questions about the quality of the pickups at the price points, the configuration changes the sound as well).

I currently own two different bass guitars, an unknown Ibanez and a Fender Jazz. They sound totally different, not just because of the vast difference in wood and body shape but the Ibanez has active pickups and the Fender does not. Its not a question of which sounds better, different types of sound from the get go.

1 Like

cc @FrontierJustice

As both I and @tachin1 have pointed out. Check out Rob Chapman’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCOIcdii1bQmfSPHeNNw4Qw

Anything there from Chappers and the Captain at Anderton’s Music will give you clear info on what they are using for their comparisons. I think these guys make a definitive decision of YES a $10,000 instrument is better than the $100 version…perhaps it isn’t 100x better, but it is better. They have a great piece on law of diminishing returns which essentially the logical conclusion TLDR version is: If you have the cash, buy the median range version whenever possible, you will be getting the most bang for your buck. Most of the cheap end guitars are still damn good, but you’ll seek to upgrade them rather quickly.

Say what?

I can’t even figure out what “processor” you might be referring to.

A cheap bass can sound really good through a couple hundred dollars worth of gear (with a really good player and someone who knows what they’re doing twiddling the knobs) It will be really hard to play and won’t last gigging, but today’s cheap gear is surprisingly good.

1 Like

I haver no issue either way with the position that 10K guitars are better or worse or otherwise. I think the video itself is done in a way that makes it a pointless exercise. If it came anywhere near making any kind of a point I may very well agree with it.

1 Like

With the presets available in hardware and software now, even someone who doesnt know what they’re doing can get a great sound out of a $100 bass.

1 Like

Oh man, the amp makes such a difference. My first was a Barcus-Berry slip of a thing that I could make feedback with and was just amazing. It was cheap as hell. My second was one of the very first Mesa Boogie bass tube amps ever made. [got it from Timbuk 3] It could probably do arena shit. Could not do feedback tho. I never even tried to turn it up. It would annoy people in the next state.Too damn bad that I sucked at playing bass

2 Likes

My first amp was something I built out of scavenged parts. Cant remember any of the ones that followed. Currently have a 2x10 Ashdown mini stack which sounds bigger than you’d think 10" speakers have any right to sound.

I’ve advanced past suck but I aint gonna win no awards for my playing neither.

1 Like

I’m sticking with classical guitar. Too old to tour if nothing else (and there’s lotsa else).

2 Likes

I like the $700 one, it stands out. The $100 one sounds like a $100 one. I guess the lesson here is don’t get a cheap one, but don’t get an expensive one either. Also, if you can really play the bass, most people can’t tell the difference. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the lesson is, or if there is one.

This guy’s good enough where he makes a $10000 bass sound more like a $1000 bass than a $100 bass.

2 Likes

the point is that a $100 bass can sound as good as a $10k guitar. The fact that it requires pedals or other effects doesn’t change the point. $100 bass + whatever effects/processor he was using is still a better deal.

1 Like