Concentration camp themed escape room a bad idea

I just did an escape room this evening (success with literally 15 seconds to spare!). Next to us was an “Escape from the Taliban” room. I think that’s pushing it just a bit, though not as bad as this one.

http://www.escaperoomcostarica.com/prisioneros/

But, if you do happen to be in San Jose, Costa Rica, I can highly recommend the FIFA themed room.

4 Likes

I still assume it’s in the U.S.

On the first quick glance at that URL, my brain parsed it as an escape room based on The Prisoner. I am bitterly disappointed that it this is absolutely not the case.

5 Likes

I never followed the show, but was aware of it. Leon Askin though is pretty well known over here, apparently he returned to Vienna after the show. Learn something new every day…

2 Likes

So… you basically reenacted “The Wave”?

3 Likes

Yes I believe that was the inspiration.

1 Like

We had a similar thing at our Sunday School where they did the Pograms. It sounded rather awful but my daughter seemed to get a lot out of it and didn’t seem to take it too seriously. I think the teacher who did it must have been skillful enough to pull of the idea in a fun way.

5 Likes

In my experience (in an unrelated field), usually they don’t ask the right people until they’ve put too much money and effort into [name the bad idea here] to feel comfortable backing out. Kind of an ego problem.

4 Likes

Sounds like a more specific and semester long version of blue/brown eyes experiment on racism by Jane Elliot:

3 Likes

“How come nobody gives THEM flack for running a holocaust-themed tourism destination?” —The guys who came up with this idea, probably

3 Likes

Or a very low-key, low-impact iteration of Stanford.

2 Likes

Maybe it means y’all are pessimists?

Could be, or the fact that a White Nationalist who wants to destroy the establishment is now pulling the strings behind the Presidency.

[quote]“I’m a Leninist,” Bannon proudly proclaimed.

Shocked, I asked him what he meant.

“Lenin,” he answered, “wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Bannon was employing Lenin’s strategy for Tea Party populist goals. He included in that group the Republican and Democratic Parties, as well as the traditional conservative press.[/quote]

6 Likes

For people who saw Cube and thought, “WHY doesn’t anything COOL like THAT ever happen to ME?”

4 Likes

I don’t know where to start. But whoever did that, and whereever it happened, let me never, ever near the responsible person.

The cluenessless of some so-called teachers about the vulnerability human minds and the abyss of human (especially adolescent) cruelty is unfathomable, and sometimes unbearable.

Yeah you’re right - that must have been a horrible teacher. Because of that class I was an exchange student to Germany, visited the Dachau concentration camp, went to college and then to law school where I interned at the formation of the International Criminal Court to create a global prosecutor for war crimes, then went on to work for civil and human rights organizations including working in genocide prevention. But teachers and experiences like that can never have a positive impact on a developing mind…

5 Likes

[quote=“waetherman, post:36, topic:93827, full:true”] But teachers and experiences like that can never have a positive impact on a developing mind…
[/quote]

Oh, they also don’t have a negative influence on anyone as well?

I’m glad you did not remember it as a terrible experience.

I have experienced group pressure in a way which negatively influences my life. Fuck that shit.

I don’t think you really understand what I’m talking about, but I’m sure your tendency to rush to judgement is a skill that serves you well in life; keep developing that.

Even when all of Klink’s schemes came crashing down on his head, you could only laugh at him and his misery. The role was written is such a way that you could never sympathize or feel sorry for him.

1 Like

Don’t want to speak for Luther, but in reading your exchange it sounds like he is glad you had a good experience, but is saying there is a reason they don’t do that sort of human experimentation anymore, and that for all the folks such as yourself who had good experiences, there are many who have bad one (such as he himself.)

I don’t think his comment warrants a “rush to judgement” admonition.

1 Like