Concept design for a drill-like tool that augers wax out of your ear

If your issue is actually wax buildup, people have talked about the best options here - hydrogen peroxide (or mineral oil I’ve heard - there’s also drops you can buy that soften it) followed by a water rinse. I have an Elephant Ear washer which is essentially a little sprayer with a tube attached to it so you can flush out your ears, but people used to use little squeeze bulbs for it too.

If the problem is legitimately hearing loss, there’s not much you can do at home.

1 Like

blorted my beer
well played sir. pafpafpaf

1 Like

I think the issue is when I’ve done that nothing comes out and it feels like maybe some water or whatever got stuck inside? Like I never see stuff coming out.

If it’s hearing loss I think it’s due to a blockage or inflammation. I will order something specifically for flushing ears and see if that helps.

I pine once again for a BBS “Do Not Like” button.

4 Likes

Earwax has functions. (It’s an antibiotic, amongst other functions. Seriously.) So do the hairs inside your ear canal. Removing the wax does also shear the hairs off.

Excess earwax should not be removed mechanically unless necessary. However, YMMV on the ‘necessary’ bit, I concede.

Anyway, inserting that in my ear? No way. Even after having a cold and a strong buildup of cerumen. Just nope.

I had a medical problem once and was basically given a soft silicon ball-syringe, and some medication to drop into the ear canal before mildly rinsing with warm water. Daily use, for the best part of two weeks, and then occasional use for a buildup, and after a while I was fine. I nowadays use a type of cotton buds made for kids which can’t be inserted into the ear canal, just to dry the outer ear after showering or swimming, and I’m fine.

5 Likes

Over the last month I’ve had a double ear infection (each ear about 3 weeks apart). The first ear ruptured from the fluid build up, the second didn’t make it that far. I had a tube placed in the first ear and it certainly helped, but I still have fluid behind both ears. Basically it feels like gunk sitting in my middle ear, no pressure, but I’ve lost some of the higher frequencies and lower decibel sounds.

He put me on a course of twice daily Affrin nasal spray (for 5 days on 5 off, for two cycles) and Flonase once daily. His goal was to reduce inflammation and open up the tubes. It’s getting better, but it’s very slow as well.

I can’t imagine this tool is worse than the ENT pulling dried ear fluid and wax off your eardrum once it has hardened.

2 Likes

I’m actually on Flonase but today is so bad I’ll try afrin. I was told it can be addictive(in that being on it becomes new normal) and to only use it once per week.

I think at some point I too will need to have stuff scraped :confused:

I’m kinda hoping Trump says it cures coronavirus.

At least you aren’t one of those kooky anti-waxers.

9 Likes

THIS!!!

1 Like

Username checks out :wink:

6 Likes

UK ears are not different. Wherever you are - don’t stick things in your ears.

1 Like

I had wax build up to the point where it impacted my hearing. The nurse that did the cleaning was the opposite: overly enthusiastic. I can still hear her cheerful “we call these ones ‘cigarette butts’!” as she dug wax out of my ear.

Side note, the sound of gravel under my feet when I walked out of the clinic was amazing.

10 Likes

OIC, the “drill-like tool” attaches to a handle that has a battery-powered motor built in to it. The picture on bOINGbOING made it look like something you’d fit it into an electric screwdriver. :thinking: Wonder if they could get the same device to run an electric toothbrush and this earwax tool…

My ears enthusiastically make earwax, but fortunately it doesn’t get hard enough to need a drill-like tool. I do use cotton swabs (like Q-Tips) to clean my ears out, even though I know I’m not supposed to. The alternative would be going to the medical clinic once a month to have my ears washed out, which I have done before, and find absurd. I’ll take my chances with the Q-Tips.

1 Like

This thing and warm water and you’re good, no need for a trans cranial drill.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no. I wouldn’t use this thing on a bet, but my wife has to flush out my ears once a year or so. We put a very small amount of H2O2 in there and let it sit, then she flushes it with warm water from a bulb like thingie.
It gets worse the more I swim. Which means pretty soon, I have a feeling.
One time I had to go to Kaiser on the island of Oahu when we were visiting because after a couple days in the ocean, one of my ears was so plugged up I couldn’t hear anything at all. He used a large syringe and otherwise the same process described above. The chunk that came out was bigger than a number 2 pencil eraser.

Your insurance plan may offer a nurse’s office you can call for advice. Tends to be a lot cheaper than going in to see a physician.

After clearing out an impacted ear canal my ENT offered me some great advice. Some people are more productive than others. And daily hot showers can cause wax to be too wet to fall out normally. Healthy ear wax should coat dirt and debris, become hard and fall out.

His advice to me, which is not necessarily the right advice for everyone. Is that I wear ear plugs in the shower most days. They don’t have to be fancy earplugs, he recommend cotton balls with a dab of vasoline as cheap disposable ear plugs.

I strongly encourage anyone to get health advice from a person who has dedicated their study and career to it. Most of us hire a professional electrician rather than DIY, especially for critical projects. Why not hire a professional physician, even if only to consult?

1 Like

a drill-like tool that augers wax brain out of your ear

FTFY

3 Likes

My childhood videogaming experiences are such that I’m going to hard nope any sort of motorized drill apparatus in this area.

1 Like

I imagine product design is one of those areas where industry jargon starts resembling - and even overlaps/converges with - generic hollow corporate existentialisms quite a bit.

2 Likes