"Confederate History Month" gives a Florida public school teacher an excuse to honor the losers

My navy veteran dad once ran into one of these lost causers on a consulting project. My dad mentioned the civil war, and the guy replied “don’t you mean the war for southern independence?”

My dad’s reply:

“You could call it Fred’s war - the score is still 1-0”.

It’s now my go-to line. And I’ve started referring to any confederate statues as participation trophies.

We as a nation have put up with too much of this revisionist, BS history.

11 Likes

Except the lost causer was just wrong. Even if the outcome had not gone the way it had gone, it is just incorrect to treat it as some sort of noble rebellion at all. It was a war to preserve slavery and racism. Anything else is wrong. I just want to make sure that other readers are crystal clear on this - there isn’t any alternate narratives that fit with the facts.

But good on your dad for taking not shit. :+1:

12 Likes

I guess ahistorical confederate monuments like you have to do something with your free time now that you’ve been flung on the scrapheap.

7 Likes

It’s so freaking annoying when Confederacy apologists try to equate people saying “we don’t support your ahistorical view of the Civil War” with “we want to prevent people from learning about the Civil War.”

Yeah, let’s learn all about it! Pull up a desk and we can start explaining all the reasons the people who put up those monuments or cosplay reenactments of battles are full of shit!

12 Likes

And not just Florida.

4 Likes

Without mentioning exactly what the rights were that the states in rebellion were willing to shed blood to protect. Of course, if they say it was to defend slavery, it doesn’t sound so noble, now, does it?

8 Likes

Indeed, but they didn’t object to federal power when it served their purposes.

3 Likes

Occasionally they’ll say “It wasn’t about slavery, it was about economic differences between the states!”

It goes without saying that they aren’t keen to discuss exactly how the economic system in slave states differed from the economic system in free states.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.