Confusing 23-mile line of yellow paint mysteriously appears along Florida's I-95 freeway

Originally published at: Confusing 23-mile line of yellow paint mysteriously appears along Florida's I-95 freeway | Boing Boing

5 Likes

2hp1h1

10 Likes

along a 23-mile stretch of the I-95 freeway in Florida. The line weaves through lanes, varies in width, and confuses drivers.

i’m confused (and not currently a driver) about a 23 mile stretch of I-95 lacking any video coverage…?

FDOT officials warned operators of self-driving vehicles to switch the feature off while traveling in the area to avoid their vehicles becoming confused. … “We’re going to have an operation, where we take a street sweeper, with a wire brush, and we will be going and doing our best to dislodge some of the yellow paint from the roadway,” Ray said. “We do not expect this to be the end-all solution.” [source]

('fess-up! it was a trial of a fancy new all robo-street-striper gone horribly awry. “wait, what do you mean, ‘this isn’t a simulated run’!?”)

9 Likes

13 Likes

My first thought as well! Great minds and all…

7 Likes

Pro tip: If you are leaking paint, drive your truck to someone else’s yard.

15 Likes

Did they follow the trail in the opposite direction to see if someone had stolen the company’s street-lining truck and driven it the wrong way down the freeway? :thinking::smile:

14 Likes

Calling @FloridaManJefe - what have you done?!?

I’m kidding, but if you are responsible, good on you :wink:

Carl Haiassan would be proud.

9 Likes

News4JAX followed the line in an investigation. It ended in the parking lot of a business named Acme Barricades.

OMG. A company that puts down barriers (and presumably warning paint), accidentally left their road-marking machine on (or was leaking paint) while driving, and it led directly to their front door? Pure comedy.

16 Likes

Acme Barricades you say?

f261178b4af7551251b35647d5058df4--road-runner-the-road

18 Likes

Anyone who worked for College Pro painters in their misspent youth knows exactly what this yellow line is.

Sometimes this is how we found our way to the job site. “What color house are we painting this week?”

Not my proudest employment experience.

5 Likes

hey, man… weren’t me!
see, thing is about the I 95,
it goes north.
no, thank you.

10 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers this from MacGyver, and later referenced in The Simpsons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.