Congress and the debt ceiling secret plan

Dems had a secret plan going back to when McCarthy became Speaker.

Weird little bill that no one noticed- went through 20 committees were no one noticed. After a set time with no action- a discharge petition for a floor vote is allowed.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Is it just me, or does that headline sound like a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book?

6 Likes
1 Like

Except this one exists. And has been revealed. It’s a long shot. But better to have a plan than not.

9 Likes

Especially when faced with an opposition party that’s clearly willing to wreck just about everything in its pursuit of power. :grimacing:

9 Likes

It seems on par with Disney and the restrictive covenants as actions to bypass right wing fuckery by reliance on their laziness and lack of attention.

2 Likes

Id like to think that billionaires who’ve invested in them might reign them in, but some Repugs may well be true believers who won’t listen to such a temporarily moderating influence. Hell, maybe much of the billionaire class is also willing to blow up the U.S. (and maybe even global) economy, with the longer term goal of total Republican/fascist power. Reading these tea leaves seems as hard as ever right now.

7 Likes

I don’t think we can count on that, as none to few of these billionaires are themselves true believers…

Oh yeah… I think this is the case.

5 Likes

Another breakdown of the plan.

Of course the President could just say that the debt ceiling is unconstitutional and blow through it. What could they do immediately?

Or just mint the damn coin. Though I like the first better.

7 Likes

“Generally, both Russia and China would look to perceive — narrate — through information operations such an event as demonstrating the chaos within the United States, that we’re not capable of functioning as a democracy, and the governance issues associated with it. They’ve done that on a range of things.”

— Haines at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing

Of course the Freedumb Caucus is ok with all that.

4 Likes

time will tell if they’re right :frowning:

the gop is indeed doing everything they can to break our democracy.

will the system hold? and can it be fixed to adequately represent all people, and not just people who are white cis and straight? i sure hope so.

7 Likes
7 Likes

… most federal beneficiaries are safe for one more month, though some SNAP benefits are distributed after the fifth

If you’re on Medicaid I guess don’t get sick :grimacing:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Marge is in love with Kev so she’s spinning it as a win and sticking it to the dems. Boebert is not in love with McCarthy so she’s saying no way.

Some democrats are not happy with the cuts to programs for the poor.

Not going to go well when they vote on Wednesday.

3 Likes

Hmm, we’ll see. I still think Biden’s a fool if he thinks the far-right scum (which in my book includes McCarthy) won’t renege on an agreement they’ve made with him. “Honor” of that sort just isn’t part of their bag of dirty tricks.

7 Likes

I can’t think of any major instance where the GOP negotiated in good faith since at least before Obama. I don’t understand why they think this time is going to be different.

5 Likes

Lucy, Charlie, football, etc. :confused: :weary:

6 Likes

it occurs to me they don’t really need them. all that’s really needed is for mccarthy to bring a bill to the floor. the republicans only have a four (?) vote majority. it’s not like the senate where they need two thirds to pass anything. a simple majority works