House approves debt limit deal

Originally published at: House approves debt limit deal | Boing Boing

8 Likes

modern family cameron tucker GIF by ABC Network

9 Likes

The 6.6 billion going to the West Virginia pipeline pissed me off, but otherwise the deal looks fine. Can we just get rid of the debt limit for good now?

15 Likes

Is the senate gonna fuck this up or is the slim dem majority gonna allow it to pass?

2 Likes

I’m SHOCKED! Shocked I tell you:
The Republican dominated United States House of Representatives actually did some important government work for a change.

5 Likes

Above all, the authoritarian caucus sat this out, and has yet to make good on their threats.

What I am seeing is that a sort of doggy behaviour, where a dog behind a fence will act aggressive and bark like a maniac, but when the gate is opened the dog goes quiet and meek. These teabaggers are the same sort of blowhards, and like said doggies just unpredictable enough that you never know when they will bite out of fear.

6 Likes

Did I miss something or is Marge reading a different spending bill?

6 Likes

Only because there aren’t enough of them to sink the deal. Still, 71 of them opposed a bill their own leader in the House made. And yes, a lot of progressives broke rank with the Democratic Party leadership and opposed it as well, but I suspect that was only because they knew the bill would pass without them. Hell, the same could be said of the far right wingers who opposed it. But I suspect the progressives would have been more pragmatic had the vote been closer. It will be interesting to see if McCarthy survives this. He’s lasted longer than I thought he would, though.

10 Likes

may spell trouble for McCarthy’s leadership

His “leadership” was in trouble during those endless votes to get him the position. He’s too stupid to understand that giving extortionists what they want is a bad idea, doubly so when the extortionist is also a fascist.

As usual, it comes down to Manchin. The fallout from a default wouldn’t be good for his business interests, so he’ll likely approve the deal.

9 Likes

I suspect the only threat in the Senate would if one of the fascists decides to filibuster it. Seriously hope not, but they could. Otherwise, it should pass on a bipartsan vote.

8 Likes

Rand Paul will do something stupid. Probably not filibuster- but some grandstanding bullshit.

10 Likes

Capping domestic spending, in an era of relatively high inflation, is effectively a serious cut. I was really hoping this would fail, Biden would invoke the 14th while telling the country “I was bipartisan - it’s not my fault that McCarthy can’t deliver on his promises”, and the 14th would end this idiocy forever.

8 Likes

My understanding (please don’t hold me to this) was that it would cap next year’s spending at 2023+1% after allowing for inflation. I am recalling tis from memory, and so may very well be wrong, but this is my recollection.

6 Likes

The usual bozos grandstanding. We’ll have to see how it goes.

8 Likes

She’s not ever in touch with reality. Why start here?

4 Likes

Here’s what I’m going off of:

7 Likes

Russel Vought “…a thirty-four-year-old budget wonk who had previously worked as a House aide for Mike Pence…” and now for Heritage Action was/is all up in the debt ceiling process:

There’s always one behind the insanity.

5 Likes

They did make big noises about pulling the plug on his leadership, but didn’t actually bother to use the tools he gave them when he negotiated for the speaker role. They can topple him at any time. The fact that they don’t means they are (fortunately) lazy, dumb gasbags.

6 Likes

Time to tell her fellow looney toons representatives that Marge is going woke - she’s not calling for the abolition of the gazpacho police or deorbiting the Jewish space lasers!

5 Likes
2 Likes