The 118th Clown Car Congress Discussion Thread

Speaker McCarthy has won the gavel as Speaker of the House for the 118th Congress. This thread is for a discussion of its effluence.

15 Likes

And in some good news here is Hakeem Jefferies’ first speech as leader of the minority party…

19 Likes

With luck, Speaker in two years.

18 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

11 Likes

Seconded, what a cracking speech!

7 Likes

This is not gonna be fun…

This is gonna suck up time, resources, and attention…

14 Likes

Just read this quote in part of a scathing editorial by former GOP congressman Dent, who is not thrilled with his party right now. (Not that they acted any more honorably during his own tenure)

10 Likes

Big deal. For the past two years, every time something bad happens for Trumpublicans, they staple Biden’s laptop to Twitter trending.

8 Likes

This should be interesting. We’ll see the various concessions he’s made, and whether the rest of his circus will accept them.

11 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes
14 Likes

Animal Caucus is on double-secret probation?

14 Likes

I wonder how many weeks McCarthy will last as speaker. My money is on lucky number seven.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Agreed. And the sad thing is that there’s very little way to stop the debt ceiling hostage crisis from going over the cliff.

9 Likes

If a small cabal of extremists in Congress brings the debt ceiling to the brink, the Treasury can always mint billion dollar coins. At that point, I think the public at large would be cool with it.

5 Likes

Not at all shady, nope.

A private document that only some House Republicans have seen and others refuse to talk about could play an outsized role in the governance of the chamber over the next two years.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/10/republicans-mccarthy-house-rules-addendum

11 Likes

Fiscally conservative, sure.

11 Likes

I am so cheating on my taxes this year! /s

14 Likes