Congress office panic buttons "torn out" prior to Capitol attack and other disturbing details about Capitol Riot emerge

Or is it expectation of a Trump pardon? I fear this is not even unlikely.

11 Likes

At this moment in timeI am reminded of the wise words of the oh so astute wordsmith George Bush Jr. to wit:
“You are either with us or you are with the terrorists.”

5 Likes

I’m starting to feel like a broken record on this point…There’s no “probably” about it, open and conceal carry are illegal in DC. Since we don’t have matter transporters a la Star Trek, any heat packing Congresscritter is breaking the law if they are doing so within District limits. Local laws don’t cease to exist on the inside of the Capitol building.

56 Likes

He wants to keep the support of other insurrectionists. If he doesn’t protect these people, the backing of other fanatics would be in doubt. This is yet another reason to take his presidential powers away immediately.

10 Likes

Looks like she can have a firearm in the Capitol building, but only in her office. She claims permission to carry in DC as well, but the article doesn’t substantiate that legality.

“…acting House sergeant-at-arms Timothy Blodgett reminded members that “pursuant to the firearms regulations that Members received on Opening Day, firearms are restricted to a Member’s Office.””

ETA: Last word I can find on legality in DC was “nope.”

25 Likes

My understanding is that impeachment is one of the few things immune to pardon: If he’s in the middle of impeachment for, say, sedition- he doesn’t get to pardon every witness to the crimes for which he’s accused. Otherwise, impeachment is a pretty toothless remedy…

8 Likes

Good to know who the traitors are.

14 Likes

The prospect of pardon certainly makes investigation more difficult (the Russia investigation, Iran Contra, Scooter Libby), but those pardons were never challenged so I’m not sure that argument would work.

In the case you suggested, the President themselves would by guilty of ordering the assassination and the act of pardoning would be an obstruction of justice if it was done to keep the assassin silent…

Though at that point one raises the prospect of a self-pardon.

4 Likes

‘Loose inside a purse’ isn’t a legal way to transport a firearm in a city where conceal carry isn’t legal. Did she fly on a private jet when she flew into DC? Because she’d be well aware of how a gun has to transported if she took a commercial flight (unless she smuggled the gun into the cabin of a commercial craft - put her on the no-fly list if she admits to anything like this).

24 Likes

I know. There’s days that I’m proud of my state for seeing reason and sanity, and then they proceed to f%^k things up. headdesk

5 Likes

Good news: if it’s the photo I think you’re referring to, it wasn’t taken on the 5th.

Bad news: it was taken in December of 2019, and the veracity of the photo and its subjects are not in question, so she’s been hanging out with them for a while now.

29 Likes

I see subpoenas and court orders in her future.

27 Likes

Without those plans and all the detailed recon it would have fizzled and been more like Spinal Tap trying to find the stage.

9 Likes

BTW - this photo was taken in front of the State Capital in Denver - not Washington. Boebert was just elected to Congress last election so there’s no reason why she would lead a tour of the DC Capital building. She barely knows her way around it herself at this point.

Also, she and a bunch of Colorado gun nuts were apoplectic about the new red flag law that was voted in back in 2019 so this photo op was in opposition to that law. Since then, it’s actually proven to have worked very well.

21 Likes

id assume pardons only extend to criminal law. there’s no reason they can’t be removed from office for sedition, and presumably a pardon would have enough detail to be proof of that sedition

7 Likes

Thanks, I probably should have made that clearer as well.

I also noticed looking back at it again that the 4 people circled appear to be flashing the “okay hand” white power signal. Great group.

17 Likes

I call “w buttons on keyboards” on this rumor.

1 Like

One odd thing that struck me is that panic buttons are virtually always “supervised” which means the resistance of the circuit is monitored with a fixed resistor of known value placed directly across the contacts and if the resistance goes up (wires broken or cut) or goes way down (switch triggered) the central panel should alarm immediately and show where the fault lies. Ripping out a switch should always trigger unless someone knows how to prevent it or the central panel has been set to ignore that switch.

31 Likes

I think it will split. A far right party where all mussolini lovers will go (Alternative for USA or National Front could be good names), and one liberal conservative party with liberal economic ideas and so on.

4 Likes

I believe those are currently called the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively.

31 Likes