'Domestic Terrorists' — Sen. Chuck Schumer says Capitol 'thugs' must be prosecuted, compares attack to Pearl Harbor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/06/domestic-terrorists-schumer-says-capitol-attackers-should-be-prosecuted.html

6 Likes

I hope Chuck realises that some of the Capitol thugs are in the room with him and share his title of Senator.

27 Likes

The significance of this really can’t be overstated. The tradition of the peaceful transfer of power has been ended for the first time in US history. Even the Civil War didn’t do that - the Southern states didn’t pretend Lincoln wasn’t legitimate. This is hopefully the thing that makes the Democrats wake the fuck up and realize what they’re dealing with, now.

24 Likes

Even calling them “thugs” is an understatement - check out this dude who made it into the building with a gun and zip ties. He wasn’t there to protest, he was there to fucking take hostages:

25 Likes

I’m pulling for the label of domestic terrorists, and the ensuing purge.

15 Likes

What are the chances that (a) this was one of the only thirteen people arrested, or (b) that he’ll be arrested later on the basis of security footage? Never mind, I don’t want to know.

11 Likes

“the final terrible, indelible act”

Alas, I suspect not.

5 Likes

The GOP aka the American Nazi Party is the smug face of these domestic terrorists. This will not be the only coup attempt.

9 Likes

This really worries me, actually. Apparently there were plans made ahead of time that they weren’t just going to take legislators hostage, but actually hold (mock) “trials” and then execute people. The only reason we didn’t have mass casualties is because they emptied the capitol building and got everyone to safe locations, and found and destroyed the bombs. If we don’t have mass arrests for those involved and serious consequences for the congressmen involved in this, they’re just going to do it again, and better planned. Congress needs to realize that this isn’t over, it’s ongoing; dealing with it is an issue of survival for them.

19 Likes

FWIW, I’ve been following a podcast with a well-connected MD based lawyer and he says all his contacts in DOJ are fuckin REAL EXCITED to start prosecuting this scum.

In fact apparently there’s DOJ switchboards jammed with folks asking how to get deputized as special US attorneys in order to prosecute these terrorists.

17 Likes

This seems like a pretty good take on things:

9 Likes

Beau of the fifth column is one of the few youtubers I subscribe to. He’s a calming presence usually, with thoughtful takes on current situations.

6 Likes

Watching videos of the mob last night I realized what “Trump Derangement Syndrome” really meant.

6 Likes

Start with naming Trampoids on no-fly lists. Keep-em off buses and trains, too.

Continue by identifying all armed supporters and mouthy enablers as traitorous parties to insurrection . Prosecute. Do not execute – give them a few decades at hard labor to cool them off.

Still, a few nooses look awfully tempting…

3 Likes

The far right is falsely blaming antifa for the pro-Trump insurrection on Capitol Hill - Vox

Well, that didn’t take long

4 Likes

As inevitable as the sunrise.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.