Congress office panic buttons "torn out" prior to Capitol attack and other disturbing details about Capitol Riot emerge

You’ve just identified a group of Capitol workers that will need to be investigated - building maintenance and/or IT.

17 Likes

I thought that the “except in Cases of Impeachment” bit meant solely that the president can’t pardon impeachment itself: so if the Senate does convict Trump on the article of impeachment currently being voted through, no future president will be able to undo that conviction.

5 Likes

There have to be at least as many hearings about these events as there were about Benghazi, right?

How could anyone argue otherwise?

7 Likes

I am reminded of the shortlived Amazon series Alpha Hoiuse

From Variety’s review of seaason two.

In the case of good ol’ boy coach-turned-North Carolina Sen. Gil John Biggs (John Goodman), that includes unexpected election competition. Meanwhile, Florida presidential aspirant/resident sex-addict Sen. Andy Guzman (Mark Consuelos) lurches toward the altar with his latest girlfriend (Yara Martinez, pulling double duty in “Jane the Virgin”), Pennsylvania’s Sen. Robert Bettencourt (Clark Johnson) endures marital troubles, and Nevada Sen. Louis Laffer (Matt Malloy) keeps finding new ways to humiliate himself, whether that’s awkwardly addressing a gay staff member or foolishly agreeing to publicly perform standup comedy.
On top of that, Gil John’s kid has signed on to appear in a reality show titled “Real Daughters of D.C.,” even as her dad butts heads with a very-right-wing senator (Janel Moloney) who wants to establish a permanent Benghazi committee, and thinks open-carry gun laws should extend into the Capitol.

3 Likes

I think it’s just an inherent part of being a Qanon [member]. I always wondered how she was going to function in Congress, believing that her colleagues across the aisle were child-murdering Satanists. Turns out the answer is: she can’t, she’s just going to try to violently overthrow them.

I’m not even sure they’re thinking that far ahead. They never expected to face any kind of consequences for this in the first place. I think many of them still aren’t getting it. They don’t see themselves as doing anything wrong - they were just having a revolution, but they’re white people, not BLM, so it’s fine.

Well, she claims to have a concealed carry permit for DC. I was leaving open the possibility that it’s true, as it is theoretically possible, even if unlikely (especially given her arrest record).

The whole thing is looking less and less spontaneous. (Though this now also raises the question of who she was showing around the day before - some of the same people, or a different group of insurrectionists.)

Except it’s not a “rumor” - this is a statement by the chief of staff of the office in question, with first-hand knowledge. Who also verified that the buttons had been there previously.

It was pretty infuriating to have one of the key Republican congresscritters behind the endless Benghazi hearings complaining that the Democrats were making too big a deal out of this. The staggering lack of self-awareness/shamelessness of these absolute fuckers.

25 Likes

Time to dissolve the republican party and arrest all of them nation wide. They are all to blame for they nominated trump in the first place.

2 Likes

It’s not about loyalty, it’s about removing prosecutors’ ability to extract a plea bargain.

3 Likes

Claudius’s cryptic comment on his secret plan to reveal the atrocities he’s witnessed:

4 Likes

I don’t understand this reply?

Which 4 people? I find this whole “okay gesture” thing super frustrating because it’s easy to pawn it off as “oh that’s just a game” or “it just means everything is A-OK” or “I didn’t even realize I was doing that, I was merely fidgeting”

For example (warning: linking to a-holes being a-holes, but with actual responses from said a-holes)

1 Like

Absolutely agree. My working assumption would be that all branches of govt, from top to bottom, have been infiltrated (or indeed, simply had segments like this all along).

11 Likes

From 2016, not sure how much has changed, but…

Not exactly surprising that fans of authoritarianism would be drawn to various arms of law enforcement, and the shining example of Drumpf.

11 Likes

History supports that possibility.

5 Likes

Let’s all remember that much of the current GOP is made up of people who come up with their conclusions first, and accept or ignore facts based on the conclusion. Which means many of these details will either ignored or determined to be lies because they don’t fit the narrative of “patriots doing their duty”

11 Likes

I suppose. But he can only pardon them for federal crimes. The insurrectionists can also be tried in their home states as many Attorney’s General have promised. 45’s pardon won’t protect them in that case. I’m still of the opinion 45 doesn’t care enough to risk his self pardon or the pardon of his kids.

7 Likes

The Washington Post’s “Reliable Source” column did report on Jan. 23, 2001, on a “practical joke” involving the removal of the letter “W” from several computer keyboards. A few months later, after claims of widespread destruction at offices in the White House and the Old Executive Office Building had been bandied about, the General Services Administration, which maintains the White House offices, released a statement saying that, “the condition of the real property was consistent with what we would expect to encounter when tenants vacate office space after an extended occupancy,” according to The New York Times.

15 Likes

Comparing the real sabotage of removing panic buttons to the fake prank of removing w’s from keyboards is such a false equiv, it might as well be apples to rocks.

32 Likes

I think I’ve heard this one before

14 Likes

The multiple hearing on Benghazi were because they were unable prove guilt and unable to accept that fact.

For this one it’s more a matter of finding out how many guilty parties there are, and identifying them.

7 Likes
23 Likes

My father-in-law likely has NPD, and this rings so-true-it’s-obvious to me. It’s not even concern about risk, it’s “so what does that do for me?”

4 Likes