Congressional insurrectionists caucus seeks to clear Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/07/congressional-insurrectionists-caucus-seeks-to-clear-trump.html

5 Likes

This seems appropo:

22 Likes

Gaetz and Greene were among those asking for pardons from TFG, presumably for attempting to overthrow the government, likely with a side order of sex-trafficking for Gaetz.

13 Likes

The same Matt Gaetz who led the effort to oust McCarthy, and is now saying that was a mistake? Huh.

7 Likes

yes indeed. and most of the media is missing the simple realization that one asks-for/receives a pardon only if one is accepting that they are guilty of the crime for which they’re being pardoned. Gaetz and company are clearly admitting that trump is an insurrectionist, who therefore needs a pardon to run for the office of the president. Shout it loud media: Even butthead gaetz says trump is an insurrectionist!

edit in bow to @Brainspore: no legal interpretation is lacking in its opposing opinion (including that statement). Or in the old quip my great uncle used to be fond of: “Between any two Rabbis there will be three opinions”. ((and one of these aged Rabbi’s opinions is that gaetz believes and tacitly admits trump is guilty of insurrection))

12 Likes

Eh, that’s not exactly a universally accepted notion. For example, I don’t think posthumous pardons for figures like Susan B. Anthony or Jack Johnson or Alan Turing (among others) should be interpreted as proof of their guilt. Recent court rulings have also supported the “accepting a pardon doesn’t mean you can’t dispute your conviction” position.

Trump is just about the guiltiest motherfucker alive, but if he was to somehow get himself pardoned I don’t think it would change any minds about whether he actually committed any crimes.

7 Likes

OK, so it looks like we may indeed get a Trump Jan. 6th trial this year before November.

8 Likes

8 Likes

"Treason doth never prosper: what’s the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason."
– Sir John Harington

9 Likes

Alan Turing, Susan B. Anthony, and Jack Johnson are heroes AND guilty of breaking very bad laws. They were laws, and they were broken. “Traveling with a white girlfriend”? Bullshit law. “Voting while female”? Bullshit law. “Gross indecency”? Another one. Anyway… moot. Posthumous pardons don’t require admittance of guilt, for obvious reasons. Everyone EVER convicted of those laws and others should have their records wiped. No pardon needed, no guilt, an apology and financial compensation, etc. I’m getting carried away here.

This doesn’t apply to Trump and his cronies at all.

I do get the point you’re making though.

5 Likes

Are they sure that they want to get in the same car as Trump at this moment in time…?

2 Likes

Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

5 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.