Conservative "suckers" were primed for Trump

Nope, the Tea Party Birchers hate Monsanto, “FRANKENFOOD”, vaccines, and fluoridation as much in number if not more than the Indigo Children.

4 Likes

That’s the base. And then, if you remember that American racism lurks just under the surface, it just takes a little bit of financial hardship to bring it roaring back in places like Kansas and Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Trump is a huckster, but he has discovered an untapped market - white people who realize that they’ve been suckers under the neoliberal agenda of the Republicans and who find the social policies of the Democrats repellent. Lo, Trump 2016.

3 Likes

I’m skeptical about Heer’s underlying thesis: that Trump is in the race entirely to revive his brand, and that he’s been shrewdly managing his own actions throughout. I’m fully in agreement with the idea that he started his run to pump up his flagging brand. However, overweight wienerdog Trump caught the bumper a few months ago and he’s hanging on by his teeth at this point. He has passed the point at which the race might have significantly benefited him. He is striding stumbling forward, but it looks like he is just caught up in the floodstream, like his marks are.

I’ve thought he was loud, snotty dumbshit for 30 years and I’m not seeing much to change that impression. He was born on third, thinks he hit a triple, and he’s a mean clever, shitheel. All that doesn’t add up to mastermind, no matter how much his stunned, chagrined, erstwhile MSM detractors would like it to be so.

I stopped believing only 11-dimensional chess players attain high office… some years ago now.

4 Likes

Not to burst any illusory bubbles, but racism in Michigan is hardly covered up. The most recent evidence: Flint.

3 Likes

For him to sell a minority different Wal-Mart off-brand flavor of Republican to, being a big tent absolutely filled with fecal matter.

2 Likes

I think “hardly covered up” describes most racism in America. :slight_smile: It’s a continuum of shit, that’s for sure, and some places got it worse than others.

3 Likes

Brought to mind the redditor that told me that the market would solve the problem of net neutrality - people would switch to a more neutral competitor ISP.

When I pointed out that most of the USA has between 0 and 1 broadband ISP options, he (it’s always he) said that was because there is too much regulation - the market isn’t free enough.

(This was in the context of net neutrality regulation)

• the blind ideology, it burns!
8 Likes

Holistic medicine types, GMO conspiracy theorists, and a few other things lean left, and I don’t disagree that there are plenty of gullible people on the left and right, but anti-Vaxxers are a strange one. Polling shows anti-Vaxxers are a really weird demographic, since a lot of them are people who take Jenny McCarthy seriously as a medical expert, which isn’t a political thing. Also, Donald Trump and Michelle Bachmann are anti-vaxxers.

5 Likes

Oooooh! I love that turn of phrase!

To extend the baseball analogy:

He was born on third, and has tried to steal home so many times that even even the crowd is beginning to boo him.

6 Likes

Apparently anti-vaxx goes across party:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.