Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

If it comes from reading my posts upthread, I apologize.

1 Like
12 Likes
6 Likes

Epidemics on top of pandemics.

19 Likes

Finally! This sounds promising…

Moderna to launch COVID-19 vaccine trial on children as young as 6 months old - ABC News (go.com)

24 Likes

Things still bad in Finland.

16 Likes

Just about to post this. Pfizer and JJ also gearing up for pediatric trials, but with much more limited age ranges.

No idea on timing: as I read it there will be one trial (or more, depending on results?) where they try to nail down dosage, followed by a second placebo trial for safety/efficaciousness.

9 Likes

Yeah, timeframe is the real buggaboo. Hopefully by year’s end? That might be pushing it, though.

10 Likes

Two close friends living in Minneapolis got vaccinated over the weekend! They are both below 45 years old. It was a zip code based vaccination effort.
I’m so happy for them but also jealous. It was the J&J vaccine, so one and done. Sounded like very minimal side effects the day after.
I can’t f-ing wait. But I will. I will wait.

19 Likes

do you know, are kids getting tested whenever they need it at this point?

i see things like @vermes82 post about finland’s kids, and i wonder how is it not like that here in the states?

6 Likes

Can’t speak for everywhere, we test very liberally here.

11 Likes

My last test (January) cost me $125. I expect that might put a damper on things in AZ.

10 Likes

I read that there are a lot of teens, children and even babies at hospital with Covid. It is very serious and sad.

16 Likes

More reasons to not credit Trump’s “Operation Less Than Bare Minimum”: a litany of bad decisions, incompetence, disinterest, insufficient funding all topped with murderous lies suddenly reversed (well, all but the last part) with the flip of a switch on January 20th.

19 Likes

That seems to be the standard cost, not based on anything other than some kind of agreement between providers. Health insurance ought to pay for the test if it is taken for health reasons (and not just travel). Kaiser even pays for the test if you take it for travel.

7 Likes

That was after insurance (which considered it “out-of-network”).

9 Likes

FFS. We’re fighting a pandemic here, there should be no/zero/zilch impediments to testing. This makes me even more impressed with Kaiser, they’ll pay even if you take the test at a Walgreens (or wherever) instead of at a Kaiser clinic.

10 Likes

Yeah, I miss Kaiser. People’s experiences with them seem to differ based on where they are, but in SF I thought they were great.

6 Likes

The thing I can’t wrap my head around is that we’re still doing better at getting shots into people’s arms than most of Europe (I think everywhere except the UK).

Depressing graph here:

7 Likes
6 Likes