Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

God damn it, the cdc is fucking this up again.

7 Likes

They are trying to use this as a carrot to encourage vaccination, but IMHO it will backfire, masks will disappear regardless of vaccination status and outbreaks will fire up again. And this time there will be no way to go back. I understand the reasoning, but I fear they have underestimated the stupid/evil in this country at this point. One would think that witnessing the situation in India would be a reality check, but being as “those people” are non-white, I doubt any of the folks who need to get that messag will pay any attention to it. At all. On the other hand, there is the possibility of Covid becoming a problem for white, right wing folks now. Maybe it will get some attention? Probably not, though.

24 Likes

In Ontario, pregnant women are a priority category, and can get an mRNA vaccination within days of applying.

15 Likes

THIS is going to be an interesting discussion.

Holy shit, we really, really are messing this pandemic up.

6 Likes

Right? The fact that this change in guidance is so sweeping, so abrupt, 180 degrees opposed to some very recent CDC guidance and doesn’t even take into account the local conditions (vaccination rates, positivity, etc) of specific geographic areas really threw everyone for a loop. It’s going to be very challenging in the future to convince people to strictly adhere to future guidelines they issue because, even among those that aren’t conspiracy nuts, there will be some justified skepticism that they know what they’re doing.

14 Likes

Anyone involved in public health can explain how vaccinating kids is absolutely always key to controlling viral spread. They tend to not die from them, but they are immensely effective at spreading their secretions around. It is true that as long as schools and daycares were closed, kids were not a major vector, but that was a unique situation and is now ending fairly abruptly. Not vaccinating kids would be a mistake of epic proportions, IM(not so)HO.

21 Likes

Just tried it with a serious high strength magnet, didn’t stick to my arm, but now my allergies are gone :smiley:

12 Likes

The sad part is that they were so close to being able to legitimately make that victory announcement…

Hopefully, private businesses will still keep their mask policies in place for a bit longer, but that’s less likely in the places that need it most.

8 Likes

I can’t like that as it really is a dilemma.

4 Likes

i assume there’ll be an uptick in aggressive people trying to shop without masks. mostly unvaccinated people claiming they’re vaccinated and yelling about rights

even at the relatively quiet out of the way grocery store i work at, it’s never fully stopped. probably about once a week or once every other, someone has to be asked to leave because of mask less ness. pretty sure this will embolden them and make retail life more difficult

17 Likes

I’m going to take this opportunity to rant that, coming up on 1.5 years since the start of this pandemic, there’s still a hell of a lot we still seem not to know about what factors contribute to its spread.

Obviously vaccination, social distancing, masking, etc all play huge roles in the infection rate, and we need to keep making progress in all those areas. But looking at the performance of different countries, it’s clear that some other unknown factors seem to play an equally important or sometimes even more important role.

Some examples:
Seychelles is reportedly the world’s most vaccinated country, and prior to January they had almost no cases.and zero deaths nationwide. Starting in January they had a massive nationwide vaccination campaign and currently about 70% or so of their population is vaccinated, yet they’re now experiencing an outbreak far worse than anything they’d had so far. Haiti, on the other hand, has had practically zero vaccination to date, no real use of masks, social distancing or other public health measures, and still has one of the world’s lowest COVID-19 rates. Why the hell is that? I haven’t seen any compelling theories yet but the sooner we figure this out the better off we’ll all be. Get to it, science people!

5 Likes

Follow up - after my second Moderna, I got a fever and was really tired the next day. Arm was VERY sore, but it went away by midafternoon.

The oddest side effect was a night of very vivid and lucid dreams. That one I don’t mind.

Right?!? It’s on the front page of our local paper this morning and I immediately thought, “Oh, here we go!” I’m lucky and happy that I’ve been able to get vaccinated, but I worry for the mental and other well-being of those who can’t…what can they do now when faced with mask-hole anti-vaxxers, who will just lie about their status?

14 Likes

Oregon and Washington’s recent spikes correlated perfectly 10 days after kids returned to in-person school. Like clockwork.

But it’s an artificial one. We can do both; it’s not either-or. It’s a question of whether we have the will to do both.

13 Likes

If you remember the Scandinavian (?) anti-masker woman who was going around to different businesses in California with fake credentials (The Freedom to Breathe “Agency”), I won’t put it past her group to start manufacturing fake vaccination cards.

10 Likes

Those are already widely available. They were never meant as “passports” or anything, and as such have no security measures at all. Way easy to fabricate. Fucking assholes.

14 Likes

x-men 90s GIF

We are living in such an “interesting” time that you risk someone taking it seriously and starting a new conspiracy theory and a new line of health products, also known as snake oil.

6 Likes
10 Likes

Last weekend, I was tasked with getting something from a grocery store’s bakery section, and while I was the first one in line, they first served the two men without masks who came right after me and then the two women with three 8-12 year olds between them (again, all maskless) and even then, when no one else was around, they somehow would not look at me. The store itself requires masks, and so all the bakery workers were wearing them, but they were not so subtly indicating their views on the matter.

Yes, I went to the customer service office and calmly explained why I was leaving the store without buying anything. But that’s one of those subtle situations that is impossible to prove. I won’t go back to that store as a result, but I doubt the workers involved will even be questioned about it, let alone be made to change their actions.

That’s what we have to look forward to in the coming months. The jerks now have CDC cover for being jerks, and the people being harmed are the ones who are most at risk despite doing everything right.

20 Likes
4 Likes

Search for “miracle cures” aside, it’s a real shame there hasn’t been more progress in finding effective treatment protocols for people who are sick with this disease. No matter how good the vaccines are, there has been and will continue to be a significant wait until everyone in some of the hard hit countries has access to vaccination. So finding good treatment could save quite a few lives in the meantime. The only widely-accepted treatment described in that article is Dexamethasone, which only reduces mortality by 1/3. We need to do better.

6 Likes