Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Anti-Covid serum made from the plasma of horses would be tested in humans.

study developed by the Instituto Vital Brazil in partnership with the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation foresees two phases to assess the safety and effectiveness of the serum, which can be implemented in the second semester.

6 Likes

I think this is a bit previous. I don’t think the border controls have actually been activated.

I know it was widely reported but

ETA
I believe it may have been threatened (it is an anti smuggling measure) and this will go away. Using NI as a pawn in this is seriously irresponsible.

ETA 2
Irish political correspondents are expecting an announcement soon. This is not happening.

9 Likes

UNPOSSIBLE! NO ONE COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS

9 Likes

It doesn’t really make any sense, since NI isn’t using any EU vaccines. There are no orders from official NI organizations that could go astray to the black market.

This might be some stupid post-Brexit game, but putting border controls on vaccines is worrying. Does that mean that they’re planning to hijack orders made in good faith months ago?

8 Likes

Ugh. Set up a vaccination clinic in a Hispanic area, then don’t have any staff that speak Spanish, assume the elderly are all online, meanwhile outsiders flock in from the suburbs.

13 Likes

So what happens if we do two doses of the J&J vaccine then?

4 Likes
11 Likes

It’s almost as if there’s an ulterior agenda at play, one which runs counter to people staying informed with accurate info in order to make their best efforts to stay healthy.

19 Likes

I mean, are they all the same but they tested the Pfizer for two doses and they tested J&J for one dose?

4 Likes

That speaks of desperation. This has been done before, to treat tetanus and diphtheria in the 1800’s, and it works, but our immune system knows damn well horse serum ain’t human, and reacts appropriately. Side effects can be a bit rough.

21 Likes

Or just old-fashioned self-important moronic bluster as a substitute for thought and considered reasoned discussion.

13 Likes

Perhaps, though I detect a pattern which seems disturbingly familiar.

The problem is that spreading FUD in this case can have serious real life consequences and repercussions.

15 Likes

That first sub-heading
nooooooo!

9 Likes

It’s a modified attenuated virus vaccine, so sequential doses don’t really help if I understand correctly. Basically, they took a cold virus, put a bit of the SARS-COV-2 code in it, and attenuated it. So you get a mild cold maybe and some degree of immunity against COVID.

Yeah. The word “can’t” - I do not think it means what they think it means. Production isn’t the bottleneck here. Willingness to let other production facilities with other companies touch their patent is the bottleneck.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Actually, I’m thinking further down in the article

3 Likes

According to the article, a similar product was approved for human use last year in Argentina.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-argentina-horses-idUSKCN24U37L

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-argentina-serum-idUSKBN29H2YQ

I didn’t know that this kind of thing could be done. I knew that the Butantan and Vital Brazil institutes made antiophidic serum from the plasma of horses.

7 Likes
35 Likes

and here i thought it was the vaccine vial, “bottleneck” pun. :cat:

3 Likes

I’m drinking some “lipid courage” right now!

6 Likes