Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Do not waste anything.

21 Likes

Sorry. Medicalese is pretty much my primary language anymore. Trying to speak this “English” that some people are going on about hurts my brain. :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

I often feel the same, but chalk it up to terrible news overload. That’s been building up since about 2016, though, with the pandemic as icing on the crapcake. I wonder how long a post-pandemic period of normalcy, calm, and social progress would have to last before it seems safe to collapse into a heap with a bottle of wine and one of those 5 lb. bars of chocolate. They might pair well with a rewatch of those send-off shows, Yearly Departed and Death to 2020. :thinking:

10 Likes

Not linking the tweet, just a screenshot.

Eschaton

Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Oldies

It’s 2003 again!

Atrios at 13:51

Twitter still hard at work on combating extremist calls to violence, I see.

14 Likes

Dare I ask what this even means? I can’t keep up with all the conspiracies and dog whistles anymore.

19 Likes

For any who prefer their covid news in visual/verbal mode, I can recommend these guys. Pay attention to caveats and conclusions. They are particularly good at those.

19 Likes

I assume it’s the temerity of vaccinating Black drug terrorist prisoners as a highly vulnerable population.

That said, Kevin McCarthy, even before he supported a violent attack on democracy, helped Donald Trump kill over 100 times as many Americans as Osama Bin Laden, and he got a vaccine, so maybe that’s what he’s talking about.

23 Likes

That was my reaction, too. I thought most GOP politicians got their vaccine before Jan 20?

18 Likes
13 Likes

the replies are pretty good

4 Likes
9 Likes

Medical warnings about the vaccines now have a very visible example:

14 Likes
10 Likes

I turned down a chance to be vaccinated this morning; my reasoning as that I can probably maintain my current schedule of only encountering other human beings on infrequent trips to buy supplies until at least next August, so the jab is better reserved for others. If my campus was requiring in-person teaching, however, I would certainly have gone for the shot.

(Since we’re currently only holding remote or hybrid classes, my campus is nearly empty, so while I do hear my colleagues teaching from behind their office doors, I never see anyone in person.)

9 Likes
18 Likes
3 Likes

I heard an interview with Demiralp on our Public Radio station yesterday. While the argument she makes is good, it is mainly based on unlimited supply of the vaccine. In that case, you have to be a nincompoop not to see the benefit of this. (OTOH, there are many nincompoops around, eg people who thought you could get away with “smoking sections” in airplanes/restaurants/theaters and not have everyone else affected by the smoke.)

Because of the difficulty of just getting the vaccine to the people in the developing world, this might be a place to prioritize the single-shot vaccines, even if their overall effectiveness is less than others.

7 Likes

Hm… Drop it in Trump idiots, insurrection… Here I guess.

eta:

I was about to post it, and stopped for dinner. Too slow!

15 Likes

This infuriated me.

5 Likes

Seems law enforcement is utterly powerless to stop right wing, white criminals.
WTF, LA?

9 Likes