Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Just found out my uncle is in the ICU in SC on BiPAP and not doing particularly well. He had finally gotten vaccinated, but came down with symptoms a couple days later. Fuck the antivaxxers, the covidiots and all the other assorted assholes. Hitting way too close to home.

34 Likes

Ugh, best wishes.

Reminds me we need to check in on my brother-in-law’s family. Had to take his 1-year-old to the hospital overnight for diarrhea induced dehydration. They’re fine, kid was happy and bouncing around the whole time time, but some older people there have it too, and haven’t heard about them lately.

15 Likes

I am as certain as I can be that no family will be left untouched by the time this is over. I’ve said before, and will again, take care of each other, be kind to yourself and don’t be an asshole!

24 Likes

That anyone has to make the argument in the first place, or any of the multiple arguments…

7 Likes

I am Sorry. Best wishes. Melhoras!

16 Likes

Dang. Good health vibes and best wishes to him, and to your whole family!

12 Likes

Taking the sample can be done by anyone. Working with intestinal samples and stool is a completely different matter, as are rtPCRs with that kind of material.

Testing for food poisoning breaks down to some microbiology. Standardised tests, I could even do much of it myself. Virology and molecular biology are something entirely different. You can’t just upgrade a lab to that kind of work. Needs to be certified, as well. And not only the tests, the whole lab needs to be upgraded of it wasn’t already. Including, I think, safety training and certification of the personnel handling the samples.

Sorry. But it isn’t as easy. Faeces is really shit to handle in a molecular lab, if you don’t mind the pun. The whole thing simply doesn’t scale well.

14 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes

This. Even if you want to sequence the bacteria, that’s not too much of a hassle to keep from getting contaminated - grow ‘em then sequence them.

No such luxury with viruses.

12 Likes

This is not what I wanted to hear.

Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel told CNBC earlier this month that he expected trials for the under-12 group to take “much longer” than the ones for adolescent groups, and he doesn’t expect results until 2022, in part because of the dosing question.

We’re a six person pod. What I’m starting to understand is that the vaccine reduces the chance of a severe outcome with the disease (and hopefully also protects against the various long-term issues? any investigation into that?), but does not reduce your chance of actually contracting it, and does not stop you from spreading it. Maybe it reduces your contagiousness (?), but living in close proximity to someone, I presume you’ll give it to them.

So we can’t break the pod until everyone is vaccinated, and one of the pod members is my five-year-old son.

9 Likes

No. Nonononononono. Oh fucking fuck, what the hell are they thinking?

21 Likes
15 Likes

Not exactly. It does reduce your chance of contracting the virus, but it does not eliminate that chance, and if you catch it, you can transmit it. This is why folks who have been vaccinated still need to follow the established protocols. As far as long term issues, nope, not nearly enough time has passed to know about those yet.

20 Likes
6 Likes

I swear school sports culture is a freaking cult in the US

20 Likes

22 Likes

That’s entirely unfair. Cults universally have tenets and an ethos.

10 Likes

Apparently all Republicans have covid. I would have expected the number to be high, but not 100%.

4 Likes
10 Likes