Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

I only feel that way because I know that none of them will suffer for their stupidity, but the little people who have to serve them hand-and-foot will.

Apropos in my RSS feed:

Cat and Girl

17 Likes

Seems about right, yeah.

14 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

It’s like they don’t give a shit about doing the right thing and solving problems.

cf. Looterism (I do like Cathy O’Neil’s stuff) 
 also here, and ultimately Akerloff, Romer, et al. (I would venture that “underworld” no longer belongs in the title). Seems the politicians in question have incentives that favour the destruction of (what should be) the productive base by COVID to conserve continued short-run extraction of wealth from the economy.

I shall leave it as an exercise for the student to select, among the many extant theories, the ones which reliably adjust incentives for such activity.

It’s all terribly, terribly sad. :cry:

3 Likes

i realized this morning that the far right has won the war on framing again. every news organization today has headlines about new “restrictions”. the correct framing should be new “protections”. sigh

21 Likes

It helps that they are the ones running the news organizations.

10 Likes

Bursting with arseholes. That’s what he meant. He’s a wobbly sack of arseholes with some hair on top.

11 Likes

If only it was themselves they were killing.

If only.

13 Likes

What could go wrong?

20 Likes

19 Likes

After a spike in hospitalizations due Covid in private hospitals, the public hospitals of SĂŁo Paulo are showing signs of the same surge.

13 Likes

I believe that this year our family will not gather together for Christmas, let alone face the shopping spree in the malls.

20 Likes

What could go wrong? (re. Thanksgiving)

Ah now, my southern cousins, you need only look north to :canada:. We had Thanksgiving on October 12 (crops come in a little earlier up here). As I’ve noted before, the advice to stay away from relatives was very poorly delivered, if at all. Let’s have a look into your future :us:

The deaths data contain a spike at the end of September (case count catch-up). About 3 weeks after :canada: Thanksgiving we get an uptick. That’s mixed in with the “back to school” uptick. The mayor here in Mississauga, Bonnie Crombie, blamed Thanksgiving pretty explicitly for our case jump locally.

18 Likes

Germany. While the states blocked discussions about anything related to schools, AFAIK even mandatory mask use all the time while in school nationwide, states and federal government have agreed to fucking appeal to the public to reduce private contacts to one (specific) household. That includes families with multiple children explicitly.

Fuck this.

Retail is open. My employer requires me to come to work at least one day a week. Schools are open, groups still not halved and/or rotating. I will have unavoidable 1st level contact to more than 20 people this week, 2nd level contact is exponential already if I try to calculate it.

But I should go for a walk with two people, one at a time? While you leave the rest like it is?

Are these be people crazy?

Merkel is the adult in the room, but fuck me, the rest is bonkers.

ETA: I’m trying to steer clear of all unnecessary social contact for myself. But I have family. They do have more social needs than I do, because they aren’t as virtually connected as I am. I outsourced a big part of my “social” life to BBS when 28k modems weren’t even invented.

19 Likes

TG doesn’t really have anything to do with agriculture here, they just wanted a holiday in November

5 Likes
11 Likes

That’s kind of Snow Crash.

20 Likes
15 Likes

Hell doesn’t have fire hot enough for this putz .

On Sunday, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) announced a three-week “pause to save lives,” closing colleges, high schools, workplaces and in-person dining as new coronavirus cases have spiked.

After she appealed to the Trump administration to intervene in the pandemic, White House coronavirus adviser Scott Atlas responded with a call to action. But instead of supporting Whitmer’s efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in Michigan, he urged residents to reject the state’s public health guidelines.

“The only way this stops is if people rise up,” Atlas said in a tweet Sunday night, which quoted a reporter who had shared information about Whitmer’s new restrictions. “You get what you accept. #FreedomMatters #StepUp.”

25 Likes

Another deeper dive. Encouraging, but let’s be real about the timeline involved.

18 Likes