Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Right? The message from the get-go is that we’re in this together. My risk of contracting COVID is partly about my own behavior, but also very much about the behavior of others.

18 Likes
23 Likes
17 Likes

ScienceDrink

13 Likes

Where I am, mask wearing is probably over 90% in most of the places I frequent (which, disclaimer, is very few), but lately I’ve seen 2 people in 2 different places wearing these as though they are suitable “masks,”
Only the ones I’ve seen look more like upside down safety glasses like you wear for construction and such, leaving the nose more exposed.
Has anyone else seen these in use, and any ideas of where people are getting the idea from?

9 Likes

I’ve seen maybe a handful of full plastic masks during my short excursions to the grocery store. It really freaks me out because their droplets are simply going all over.

As far as the short mask versions, I’ve seen these advertised on TV and in online ads. They’re totally inappropriate and they appear to be marketed to the a-holes who hate wearing masks.

12 Likes

Apparently, it Lana Del Ray had something like that under her mesh mask that got criticized…

:roll_eyes:

I have not seen any in public, though. The vast majority of folks are wearing the disposable surgical masks where I am, everyone else some sort of cloth masks.

12 Likes
12 Likes

Alice Wellinger

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHpOcQnhN-o/

9 Likes

Oops.

13 Likes

Tijuana. Saw one just yesterday in a warehouse store packed with people. It appeared to be a regular PPE shield, just worn upside-down. Not sure where the idea came from, as it is still difficult to get many people to wear masks in the first place. My poor doctor looks like she’s about to lose it.

12 Likes

Mass Murderers

On Friday, a state appeals court overturned a stay-at-home order after local restaurant owners and the state attorney general sued Judge Samaniego for shutting down the city.

A panel of judges ruled 2-1 that the order to close nonessential businesses until December went against the Texas governor’s 7 October reopening guidance. Some businesses resumed operations almost immediately, local media reported.

Attorney General Ken Paxton called Judge Samaniego a “tyrant” over the mandate. The county judge responded that it was “unfortunate” that the attorney general sought “to gloat instead of coming to El Paso to walk along side me by the mobile morgues”.

18 Likes

Heard today at work:
“why would I use a vaccine that is 90% effective if the disease has a 97% recovery rate?”

Just. Can’t. Even

26 Likes

If only letting them in for a close look was a good or ethical idea.

20 Likes

It really is a Darwin-esque disease.

7 Likes

Holy shit, that is a terrible story. Damn, my heart hurts reading it, but also infuriating that the people who killed her did not think it was worth mentioning that they had covid. Damn…

16 Likes

No, it’s not. That guy will be fine. Several of the people forced by their employment to deal with him will die.

1 Like

No offense intended; I’m probably just gonna stop engaging you for a while, for the benefit of my own mental health.

Good luck and may you live to see the dawn, sincerely.

6 Likes

please tell that to my co-workers, not a few of whom are planning to visit family next week or over christmas.

there are more than a few states with travel quarantine advisories at this point and yet at least one person is traveling half way across the country and plans to immediately return to work the next day.

we’ve been so careful at work, but the fact people are being so careless outside of work makes it feel like a complete fiction.

it’s really frustrating. i don’t work with that person directly, but the bacon number is still 1.

11 Likes

someone here posted a similar mask early on in the pandemic. i think the conclusion was it was a sneeze guard for catering or food service. i can’t for the life of me find the link now though.

7 Likes