Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

To add to my plastic 1/2 mask post above, at the grocery store yesterday I also saw someone wearing one of these:

They were shopping and enjoying an iced coffee, so kept opening the little Velcro tab and inserting the straw with their fingers. I’m glad they had the mask on to protect the rest of us, but struggled not to explain how they weren’t helping themself…

14 Likes

The article says that this study have some flaws.

9 Likes

*screams into a pillow*

23 Likes

Do they think they can shoot the virus?

22 Likes
13 Likes

:sob: oh my lord, the effect on staffing would have to verge on unbearable. 1/3 out sick with covid, 2/3 rapidly reaching burn out. And no end in sight. We jad a staff meeting today gripping about exhaustion, stress and burn out when one of our counselors pointed out that the human psyche is just not meant to deal with a crisis that just keeps going on and has no endpoint. I agree, but here we are.

23 Likes

Pfizer claims it is able to vaccinate ‘millions of Brazilian citizens’ against covid-19 in the first half of 2021.

12 Likes
13 Likes

If it helps any, I think they’re saying that the number of Mayo’s Midwest staff who’ve been diagnosed with covid in the past two weeks is ⅓ the number diagnosed since the start of the pandemic in March—i.e., it’s not that ⅓ of their staff are currently out sick. Still bad, but maybe not quite what you took it as? (Someone correct me if I’m the one misreading it.)

3 Likes

Is it the 2nd Wave or is the 1st wave that is still washing the country away?

The article below roughly says in my bad translation:

Number of patients hospitalized with Covid-19 increases and the State Health Department of Rio adopts new measures.

Among the recommendations is the resumption of spaces dedicated to the care of respiratory problems.

Patients with symptoms of coronavirus complain about the lack of access to tests and the delay in getting a bed.

4 Likes

Oh, ok, then it’s all good. As long as they die in shifts, we can cover, right?

13 Likes

No, of course not! (I know you’re joking) We are in bad shape. MN Governor Walz just announced closure of bars and restaurants, and no social gathering with anyone outside of immediate household, from this Friday night through Dec. 18. (Thank goodness.)

(It would be helpful, though, if that article told us what Mayo’s total number of staff in the Midwest is, to give us some idea what percentage of staff the group of 900 recently-diagnosed represents. But that’s not really what they’re reporting on—they’re only trying to say that we’re in a surge, I think.)

8 Likes

This is a really bad look for California’s governor Newsom, and harmful for efforts to get people to take this virus seriously. A bunch of wingnuts have been trying to push for his recall for some time, both because they hate COVID restrictions and because they hate Democratic politicians in general, and he just handed them a bunch of ammunition. Even liberal-leaning news outlets are blasting his hypocrisy.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/editorials/article247181176.html

And why did he feel the need to break his own rules for social gatherings? For a birthday dinner for a f’ing fracking lobbyist. This at a time when he’s been very outspoken about how people need to not visit relatives for a thanksgiving dinner this year. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his COVID response even though I’m personally out of work right now directly due to some of his specific restrictions, but this is really damn depressing.

20 Likes

Burn it all down.

18 Likes

looks like a third wave to me

hospitalizations

12 Likes

If I were Californian I’d be one of those. You have to turn on your own if they behave like right wing nuts and act as if public health restrictions don’t apply to them. This whole thing depends on solidarity rather than coercion and if your politicians can’t do this simple thing while people are watching their family die on Zoom fuck them into a fiery hole. Nothing of value is lost.

9 Likes

Seen these on an elderly couple in a German hotel, taking care of a toddler during breakfast. Next table. Date was the 17th of September. They “covered” the nose a bit.

The grandparents talked Arabic, probably Egyptian. So: no idea where this minimal face shield idea comes from.
FTR, in German shops and restaurants, I’ve seen quite a lot face shields (full face, that is) worn without a mask. By employees.

6 Likes

22 Likes

I’ve seen the same in Poland. Wouldn’t be surprised if some employers force them to do so.

3 Likes

Remember this?

Course y’do. Space Karen. Well. I sniggered.

Today, I saw this on my feed:

https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/after-testing-positive-and-negative-for-covid-elon-musk-contacted-a-harvard-doctor-his-response-is-a-master-class-in-emotional-intelligence.html

And while I have not much sympathy for a billionaire egomaniac, I shall try to use the tactical approach with an emotional appeal more often in real life.

I will find this next to infuriating, but I think we’re in shit so deep that every single difference which can be made counts.

13 Likes