Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Fuck, that’s awful.

17 Likes

I had mentioned losing an elderly doc to covid a week or so ago. His wife and nurse died yesterday. Fucking 2020.

32 Likes

I’m so sorry, Doc.

22 Likes

Sorry to hear that. :frowning:

19 Likes
14 Likes

In the midst of all this we need to be on the lookout for small acts of courage, and fight to protect them.

tusd

11/6/20

Greetings Tucson Unified Family,

As your Superintendent there is no responsibility I take more seriously and no priority more important than ensuring the health, safety, and security of our students and employees. This commitment is the core value inherent in any decision I make. Throughout this pandemic your Governing Board and I have committed to honoring the expertise of the Pima County Health Department by utilizing their data to guide our decision making regarding the re-opening of our schools, programs, and extra-curricular activities. It is in this spirit that I have made the difficult decision to not open the Tucson Unified School District for Hybrid Learning starting Thursday November 12th. In my briefings this week with the Pima County Health Department leadership team, I was informed that our county will be in a state of widespread community transmission of COVID-19 at the time of our planned opening. I encourage you to view her 11/4/20 community update message here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aaDMT9ECWM

Out of an abundance of caution, our leadership team has made a commitment to only initiate “hybrid” instruction when Pima County is in a state of moderate transmission or better. Please note that our remote instructional model will remain unchanged. Your child or children should continue to log on to their regularly scheduled remote classes at their regularly scheduled times. School bell schedules for remote instruction will remain the same.

We will continue to have On Campus Learning Spaces open for at-risks students, as well as any families that would like their children to be on campus. Our On-Campus Learning Spaces will continue to feature access to remote instruction and basic campus services for students that attend.

If you are a family that chose Hybrid Learning, your student will be prioritized when Hybrid Learning begins in the Spring.

I thank you for your continued patience, support, and trust in the Tucson Unified School District and look forward to continuing to provide you with updates as soon as information becomes available. Be safe and be healthy.

sign

Dr. Gabriel Trujillo

TUSD Superintendent

19 Likes

What really is scary about our current environment isn’t even the macro view that Trump received the support of 70 million Americans, but rather that Dr. Trujillo is taking care of kids, and will likely receive death threats for it.

17 Likes

Short update from Germany: we are five workdays into a very mild form of shutdown. We will only see if it works a week from now. Yesterday, the daily case-count exceeded 20k for the first time, with Berlin alone having more than 1k. nearly always will have been infected before what we call the shutdown light.

However, from my personal experience and what people tell me, we are fuckers who haven’t understood the severity of the situation. The weekend before restaurants closed (for anything other than takeaway), places were full. Keeping distance was not easy. Pedestrian precincts were packed. A colleague who from his flat could oversee a large plaza surrounded by condos tons me he hasn’t seen so many people gathering in flats, partying or dining together in larger groups the whole year.

While this is also influenced by observer bias, I’m inclined to believe we are as fucked as the rest of Europe, but just a bit behind the curve observable in Belgium and other countries.

Also, this:

Regional newspaper group posting an interview. Go figure from the headline.

15 Likes
12 Likes
19 Likes

I get the feeling that recruiting WH interns will be a lot more difficult next year. WDKS, and those selfish, delusional, and infected members of the staff might lick things before leaving the building:

12 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

Early in the pandemic, deniers used to minimize deaths. Many said that the people who died were elderly or already had other illnesses.

That kind of comment made me angrier than those who simply denied the existence of the virus. This type of inhuman prick used to mock the families’ pain. Sick or not, they were alive and could have stayed that way if serious action had been taken.

Now with more than 150,000 dead, that kind of stupid comment has gone silent.

I have high blood pressure, I take my medicine everyday and hope to live long enough to see the end of the vote count in the American elections.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Holding Trump and his staff down long enough to force it down their throats will be the hard part.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog/biden-inches-ever-closer-to-presidency-as-lead-in-pennsylvania-grows?entry=1343185

10:06 a.m.

Another Trump ally has tested positive for COVID-19. Politico reported Saturday that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) has told multiple people on Capitol Hill that he has tested positive for coronavirus.

Late Friday night, news broke that White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows had also tested positive for COVID-19

11 Likes

I wish that was true. There are some folks whose worldview is that bad things only happen to bad people. They always look for (or make up) a reason that the victims of disease, crime, or any misfortune must have attracted that outcome in some way. Maybe this is why they seem to lack empathy for others, and melt down if something unexpected and unfortunate happens to them.

15 Likes

I guess it’s not available as a white powder that can be left lying around in little baggies to be self-administered?

6 Likes

Wish that were true here.

Find some Zen if you can! We need you around!

13 Likes

Well, actually I have to do some sit ups and other exercises… :wink:

16 Likes