Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Over on this side of the Atlantic, the current mood is Kafkaesque with added incompetence:

23 Likes

Outsourced to a credit check company: Tories are always on brand arenā€™t they? Kill the poor!

17 Likes

Send the pic above to a friend working at a clinic in the Ruhrgebiet. She called me back, exasperated.

In her clinic many of the staff are already infected. Which means quarantine for their close contacts. They are already understaffed severely. Electives, however, are still as usual, because there is no compensation either for the clinic nor the overworked staff. Their roles also change, since with rising number of isolated patients, they are friends, family, chaplain and more for them.

They feel lost. They are already beyond their limits, and get no support, neither financial nor emotional, by society right now.

She estimates that in four weeks, they canā€™t even treat people with heart attacks.

Also, her own heart is breaking. She has a 28 year old pregnant woman dying in the isolation ward. And her friends are bemused and slightly amused that she does not want her kids to play with others, and suggests the other moms do the same.

I cried when she told me.

21 Likes

You are right. They canĀ“t stand the idea of a serious illness that requires often vigorous measures. So I think they need justification for their beliefs: ā€œItā€™s just the fluā€, ā€œHe died, but did you know if he had any other illnesses?ā€, ā€œOh, she was 70 years oldā€. It was they kept saying.

11 Likes

No, itā€™s not just like the flu.

21 Likes
9 Likes

Hate to be the downer, but this is still going on, and through January, there will be no leadership on it. Stay on your toes, exhausting as it is.

https://www.aol.com/coronavirus-wave-152513366.html

Why no one box?

20 Likes
18 Likes

Matt Gaetz confirming heā€™s an idiot.

14 Likes

iā€™m not sure weā€™re even allowed to mention aol. ( * looks around furtively * )

12 Likes

If you meet someone who starts this, maybe try to point out this:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/pregnancy-breastfeeding.html#:~:text=19%20and%20breastfeeding-,COVID-19%20and%20pregnancy,outcomes%2C%20such%20as%20preterm%20birth

Then, refuse to discuss anything further with them and, of necessary, hit them in the face. You donā€™t need to use a shovel. A slight slap will do nicely.

As I mentioned above, a friend of mine, working today on her Sunday shift in the hospital, is watching a pregnant 28-year old without medical history die. Alone. None of the family can visit.

I think they are in the seventh month of the pregnancy.

Currently, I am definitely inclined to hit the next person who tries to argue about the severity of this illness. And help me a lawyer if there is a shovel nearby.

25 Likes
21 Likes

So, just like her husband, Elaine Chao is keeping key moneys meant to be used for COVID-19 prevention are being held up. SMH

14 Likes

I cant even begin how to fathom this.

It is so sad. She was so young, pregnant. She must be happy, buying baby stuff like diapers and a craddle.

Mocking this type of situation just to justify their ideology, to support a political group or for the simple pleasure of attacking those who think differently and are concerned about their own health and the community is too inhumane.

These kind of people must have died inside, they are in a state of necrosis of the soul.

I think we can discuss whether some measures against the pandemic are good or not. But everything has a limit. To act like a bully with someone who is feeling the pain of losing a loved one is to cross the line of civility.

I am sorry to know the story of this poor mother. I can only offer you my solidarity.

20 Likes

Thirty years from now: ā€œThe Agony of Covid Shingles: Is There a Cure?ā€

(Because why not one more nasty surprise?)

18 Likes

Iā€™m going to try to convince my friend who told me to write down her experience. I want to send it to the newspaper which published that untimely interview, and to a friend who works for another newspaper.

Iā€™m so tired of all this, and Iā€™m bursting with anger.

The so-called ā€œQuerdenkerā€ (lateral ā€œthinkersā€) apparently want to go to schools today, agitating against the use of masks, to offering ā€œCO2ā€ tests and self-kitted masks.

This weekend, a anti-mask protest by the same ā€œinitiativeā€ in Leipzig went out of control. Journalists and the police were attacked. A well-organised subset of said protest, about 300 people, were Neonazi Hooligans. The police retreated from them.

Today, on the 9th of November, we also remember the Reichspogromnacht.

22 Likes
13 Likes
17 Likes

Frankly Iā€™m not surprised. I was there in late August, and whereas other military facilities nearby had tight restrictions, Fort Bliss was very loose.

11 Likes
19 Likes