Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

ECHR rules obligatory vaccination may be necessary would not contravene human rights law

FTFY. FFS.

Even DW is feeding the trolls. I would slap a red herring in their face, I would, if this would change anything.

11 Likes

OFFS!

18 Likes

Mr. Blisset already published this news. Hah. Too late…

19 Likes
5 Likes

It’s not surprising in the context of ECHR jurisprudence. They give a lot of room for governments to promote public policy and they don’t step in even in situations you imagine they would. Which this is not one of.

3 Likes

Upside of the lock-down (or was it “Gray Level Plus Stay-At-Home Unless You Don’t”), at least here in Mississauga, is that I’ve been acknowledged to be in a “Hot Spot” and will be eligible on Friday for vaccination.

I’ve already had to tell my Toronto business partner he’s too old for me to adopt.

This, however, is unlikely to spare Ontario :canada:'s Doug Ford the hard-earned wrath of the people…

The Toronto Star has been, as usual, quite sharp…

14 Likes

Just got my J&J shot

27 Likes

Cheers to you and everyone who has received their vaccinations, have appointments to get their vaccinations, or is patiently waiting to make their appointment for their vaccinations (we need to cheer you on, too!).

high five kitty

23 Likes

celebrate hell yeah GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

18 Likes

According to the UK medical regulator, the MHRA, 79 cases have been identified, and 19 people have died.

This is out of a total of more than 20 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine which have been given in the UK.

I guess it seems to me that Europe, which largely (UK and Sweden excepted) tried to approach the pandemic responsibly, and put their money on the AZ vaccine, is now getting spikes from lockdown fatigue while being hit with this speedbump with side effects (rightly or wrongly), while the US, which was wildly irresponsible, and bet on Pfizer, is at least able to steamroller ahead with vaccinations, even as mitigation is collapsing. Reverse the vaccines and you have wildly different outcomes.

9 Likes

One and done!

9 Likes

Noting that helps to put any short pause or restrictions on who gets AZ vaccine in Europe into perspective. It was the main vaccine, but fuck all has been delivered so it’s no major headache to pause it for under 65 women say until further information. Realistically it won’t effect the number being vaccinated.

3 Likes

Brazil this week became just the third country, after the U.S. and Peru, to report a 24-hour tally of COVID-19 deaths that exceeded 4,000. India hit a peak of almost 127,000 new cases in 24 hours, and Iran set a new coronavirus infection record for the third straight day, reporting nearly 22,600 new cases.

No one should be shocked by this. A more contagious variant coming to dominate, covid fatigue and a feeling that “the vaccine is here, so it’s all over,” and, of course, political assholery all combine to set the stage for another huge surge.
And then, of course, there is this kind of stuff: “In Brazil, less than 3% of 210 million people have received both doses, according to Our World in Data, an online research site.”

We are a stupid, panicky and easily misled species. I often wonder if bonobos or octopuses would be better suited to run the place.

18 Likes

Unhelpful:

6 Likes

In light of that, if you can…

17 Likes

Despite the J&J setback, we are rapidly leaving the period of “get shots in arms” and entering the period of “get arms to shoot”.

12 Likes

Yup in San Diego same thing. My wife told our handyman about it at 2pm and he was vaccinated by 4:30.

11 Likes

I wish we were.

I am not expecting to be able to even register until May. Meantime, I have just been told I need to resume 5 days a week at the office.

17 Likes

What state is that?

It has been interesting to me that what category a state has moved to vaccinating doesn’t seem to bear much relation their vaccine percentage, so I fear the states opening registrations up are doing so because a high percentage of older people are not getting vaccinated.

6 Likes

Province of British Columbia.

And I don’t blame my employer. There are reasons they need me in the office: some issues I actually pointed out have come to a head. They actually want to move to a 3-in, 2-out system (or something like) even after the pandemic, for those who want it and it’s feasible, so part of me going in right now is so we can be confident in moving to that in the long term.

The problem with staying low-level and avoiding any kind of authority is sometimes you find yourself as the only one left with institutional memory.

16 Likes