Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Got my second shot of Moderna Thursday early evening. This time the person administering the shot insisted on giving it in my dominant arm, because my non-dominant arm has a tattoo. The previous person had no such phobia.

Once again, a sore arm, a bit spaced out for 24 hours, and a bit of joint pain. Oh, and a huge amount of relief. It’s great to hear so many here are getting the jab. Most of my relatives (my age and older) have gotten their second as well.

19 Likes

Earlier this week, 18 people in North Carolina reported side effects, while 11 people in Colorado reacted to the shot with symptoms ranging from dizziness, nausea and fainting.

“This is a really potent vaccine, and what we’re seeing is some of that potency relating at a very rare side effect that we just have to be aware of,” said Dr. David Agus, a CBS News medical contributor.

All three major U.S. vaccines produced adverse reactions in more than 60,000 people nationwide. For each manufacturer — Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson — just one-tenth of 1% of all people have reported side effects.

7 Likes

WTF?!? It’s like the satanic panic all over again, and we already know that was essentially nothing but media driven mass hysteria. Oy.
It’s truly frightening to think that some people in the US honestly think some of us are drinking the blood of tortured children. I mean, I watch crime dramas and listen to true crime podcasts for fun, and even I know that is highly unlikely. :woman_facepalming:t2:

11 Likes
9 Likes

This makes far too much sense to happen.

9 Likes

In April 2020, a Kaiser Family Foundation study projected that the cost of treating just COVID-19 cases for the uninsured would range from $13.9 billion to $41.8 billion. If even close to 30 percent of Americans get COVID-19 because they refused to get vaccinated, Amin told me, you’ll see a massive spike in health-care costs.

And there’s the problem that they’ll be a breeding pool for new variants which might be vaccine resistant, resetting the clock on everything.

17 Likes
5 Likes

Celebrate The Bachelor GIF

21 Likes

im curious whether vaccinations will increase the spread among those who aren’t vaccinated. basically, as more people get vaccinated coronavirus protections will be lifted, more directly putting all the antivax people at greater risk.

a bad situation for sure

based on people’s self reporting here and at my work, i wonder what “side effect” means exactly. im alright with being knocked down for a day to get vaccinated, but that to my mind still seems like a side effect of some sort

it feels like being more honest would yield more trust. not reporting the experiences people are having is just going to lead to more of the “the media is covering it up” narratives

9 Likes

“White lives matter?” WTF Finland?

17 Likes

That’s “working as expected”. A normal immune response rather than an abnormal immune response.

6 Likes

When I got my vaccination the other day, the staff made sure to tell people that this changes nothing for the time being, and to keep wearing masks and social distancing. As for local governments heeding that advice, we’ll have to wait and see, I think.

16 Likes
10 Likes

Yesterday’s Moderna Nr 2 has definitely knocked me down for today. Nausea, chills and sweats, low grade fever and exhaustion have replaced the massively sore arm that developed over the day yesterday. No fun at all.
I’m reporting via the CDC’s VSAFE site - contributing my little data points to science.

15 Likes

Same for me. Add achiness since this morning. (I regret nothing!)

15 Likes

Eschaton

Saturday, April 10, 2021

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND CASES PER DAY

One thing I’ve watched with minor amusement is how the US media regularly (led by the big outlets) picks up one country semi-randomly and makes it sound as if Covid there is some TREMENDOUSLY HUGE DEAL.

Covid-19 Live Updates: India Tops 100,000 Cases a Day as Virus Races Out of Control

Though damaging and ultimately flawed, the lockdown and other efforts appeared to work. Infections dropped and deaths remained low. Officials and the public dropped their guard. Experts warned fruitlessly that the government’s haphazard approach would bring a crisis when a new wave appeared.

Now the crisis is here.

India on Saturday reported a daily record of 145,384 new infections as Covid-19 raced out of control. Deaths, while still relatively low, are rising. Vaccinations, a mammoth task in such a large nation, are dangerously behind schedule. Hospital beds are running short.

It’s always bad when the curve shoots up, national numbers don’t always convey the magnitude of more local outbreaks, and hospital capacities can differ greatly. But adjusted for population, 145K new cases per day is equivalent to 36K in the US. The US hasn’t had a 7-day average figure that low since… September.

Sure it’s worrying, as it is everywhere when the case number shoots up, but…

Atrios at 16:39

9 Likes

So, they can make you get shot, but not get a shot. Nice set of priorities, there.

15 Likes
17 Likes

A truly horrifying side effect of this pandemic is that it’s making David Frum sound reasonable:

I mean, in comparison to too many of his fellow pundits… is reality crumbling, or something?

14 Likes

Here’s what’s up:

We have always had a fascist problem.

Etc.

Once we were part of Antifa:

17 Likes