Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

12 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

26 Likes

NY Times reprint

https://www.yahoo.com/news/faith-freedom-fear-rural-americas-142541488.html

Lewis patiently addressed the Fletchers’ questions, delineating between what researchers do and do not yet know.

“How can we be sure there are no chips in the vaccine, like the things you put in your dog?” Jim Fletcher asked.

“We can’t make microchips that small,” Lewis countered.

“Well, it’s like a grain of rice,” said Jim Fletcher.

“I couldn’t inject a grain of rice with a needle,” Lewis said.

Lewis held up his smartphone. If you are worried about being tracked, he said, all the technology is right here, in the very thing you pick up every day. Every hour.

The Fletchers looked abashed.

For fucks sake, just because you live out in the middle nowhere does not mean you can’t get something that’s EVERYWHERE. I live in a pretty conservative rural area in NY and people here have croaked from the virus from the initial outbreak back in early spring last year. It’s because of people like that in my area I made a concerted effort to get my shot asap. We are still behind most of the state because of those cultists.

23 Likes
14 Likes

Why is that? Because I got there Moderna poke. I am so profoundly uncool, I contaminated the whole endeavor.

20 Likes

I don’t pretend to understand but I said earlier that on dating sites in Ireland fully vaccinated with BioNTech is the power flex…

5 Likes

On TikTok, hundreds of videos use a soundtrack of a woman explaining—slowly, voice full of disdain, like the rudest preschool teacher on Earth—“Only hot people get the Pfizer vaccine.” In another clip, a young pharmacy technician tells the viewer that one of the side effects of the Pfizer shot is “feeling like a bad bitch.” (He’s very cute!) It follows that anyone who gets the other mRNA vaccine, comparable in almost every way, is, as one woman puts it, a “peasant.”

8 Likes
12 Likes

My predictions about how the virus and vaccines would be woven into pop culture were way off. I thought more lines would be drawn between the vaccinated (and those who cannot but wish they could), and the anti-mask/anti-vaxxers - not who got which vaccine. It makes me wonder if there are categories on dating sites where folks just filter out people in the opposite camp… :thinking:

13 Likes

tenor|nullxnull

17 Likes

The San Diego Health Center is giving out Pfizer to all comers, including homeless (I’m classified as homeless – no utility bill – in California). Take that, richies!

Reaction GIF

26 Likes

To give credit where it is due, Indiana is also giving out vaccines to anyone, no residency of any type required.

But…

In Indiana, 2,423,986 people or 36% of the state has received at least one dose.

Overall, 1,672,675 people or 24% of Indiana’s population has been fully vaccinated.

18 Likes
15 Likes

I’m not optimistic. India is a ginormous country, and their healthcare system is woefully underfunded and seriously strained even in normal times. Even if they can produce or procure enough vaccines to make a difference (which, given how big India’s population is, seems unlikely), I have very serious doubts they can distribute and administer those vaccines quickly enough to stop, or even slow, the pandemic.

5 Likes
19 Likes
16 Likes
20 Likes

[ this comic is also what blows my mind about flat-earthers and climate change deniers. you think gps would work without knowing whether or not the earth is a goram globe?! (ish) ]

7 Likes