Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

wow. that is quite the article:

the school had threatened teachers’ employment if they got a coronavirus vaccine before the end of the school year.

[it] received $804,375 from the federal Paycheck Protection Program during the pandemic [where] tuition runs up to $30,000 a year.

Teachers had to sign waivers acknowledging that there was a health risk associated with returning to work in person… [only] when the Florida Department of Health visited for routine food inspections in August and December, teachers were told to mask up.

The local state senator, Jason W.B. Pizzo, a Democrat, said he was told that neither the Department of Education nor the Department of Health had jurisdiction… On Thursday, [an] amendment he hoped would prevent schools and businesses from prohibiting people from getting vaccinated… failed on a tied vote.

it’s all such a scam, i’d bet good money she’s already been vaccinated herself.

11 Likes

Finland’s largest circulation daily, Helsingin Sanomat, reports that Finland’s incidence rate is currently the lowest in the EU.

According to the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), 132 new coronavirus infections were reported on Sunday, the lowest daily infection rate since the turn of the year.

Also, the incidence rate per 100,000 inhabitants over the last two weeks has dropped to less than 60.

"This shows that measures have been taken seriously again. Testing and infection detection is now working pretty well. And with the borders mostly closed, the situation has been brought under control,” the paper quotes Lasse Lehtonen, Director of Diagnostics at the Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital District, as saying.

However, Lehtonen points out that during the holidays, the number of tests typically falls, so the number of infections reported are often less than usual.

Even so, Lehtonen told HS that in the capital region about 4,500 people took tests on May Day, about the same as on a regular Saturday.

11 Likes

I think “overrule” is the wrong word here. Currently states or localities set policy, not the CDC. My city, like Brookline, has not yet weakened its mask policies to conform to the CDC guidelines, and I am happy about that.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Is this ever going to completely go away? At this rate…

5 Likes
17 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve heard anecdotally from people who help others schedule vaccines that more and more people are explicitly requesting Pfizer and turning down Moderna. It’s crazy.

Personally, as a liberal Masshole, I wanted my local Moderna vaccine. I feel like it’s the equivalent of low food miles. “Buy local,” it’s like shopping for vaccines at your local farmer’s market. I want my asparagus to taste like the dirt of our local hippy farmers, not shipped thousands of miles from Mexico, and I want my vaccines to speak with a Boston accent.

On a different note, from the article:

The idea of wearing an evening gown to a COVID-19-vaccine appointment is objectively sad

F that writer. I personally didn’t dress up for the shot, but the notion of mocking people who want to mark the approaching end of one of the worst years in our lifetimes as “sad” is, itself, sad. Not seeing anything momentous about the shot merely showcases their own personal lack of a sense of history and awe.

17 Likes
4 Likes

Isn’t that the big red flag with their vaccine: they’re not using it themselves.

3 Likes

I assume that no one is more skeptical of the Russians than the Russians.

What’s stupid is that there’s a very good chance that their vaccine works just fine – they went with a pretty traditional vaccine technology, and the basic science is all pretty straightforward. They just completely shot themselves in the foot by being too, well, Cold War about it. I don’t know why. Maybe Putin never trusted that the scientists would actually be able to do it, and so threw on all the extra layers of secrecy and obfuscation?

7 Likes

Russian diplomats have gotten caught getting vaccines that are not Sputnik and there has been a rash of incidents this past year and a half of medical professionals “accidentally falling out of windows”.

13 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

I got Pfizer because it’s what’s my provider gave me. I wasn’t “shot shopping”; I just took whatever appointment I could find.

My brother (who is uninsured) is getting Pfizer though Walmart.

10 Likes

Germany’s Oktoberfest canceled again in 2021 due to coronavirus

12 Likes

The first part of that statement may be true but I’ll have to disagree on the second part. Using two different engineered adenovirus vectors to deliver the instructions for your cells to produce the spike proteins for a 3rd virus is still pretty new for vaccine technology, especially for something widely distributed.

7 Likes

Similarly:

15 Likes
7 Likes