Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

i’ve been trying to think of one thing that the trump administration built, one successful task ( positive or negative ) they have accomplished.

the wall? i believe they’re up to a grand total of 5 miles of new construction, all of which will likely fall over in the next few years.

family separation? but really this operated by removing restrictions on structures that already existed ( structures built by bush, and expanded by obama. )

the federal judge makeover? all mcconnell.

honestly, i’m not sure they could have distributed masks even if they’d tried. ( and that’s doubtless part of their coronavirus response. they didn’t know how to do anything. )

moreover, i really think they never believed this was a big deal. they don’t believe in science, and they don’t believe in experts. they literally can’t because his followers don’t.

he succeeds by following their lead, not the other way around.

the conversation probably went like this. “well, this thing is overblown. and if it isn’t, who cares.”

i’m incredibly off topic. i just see our coronavirus response – the response that has actually happened – as a mirror of our ongoing climate change response. and it’s not a happy thought.

10 Likes

If Fox News had just been around earlier we could all still be smoking while pumping leaded gasoline into our Pintos.

9 Likes

If she was tweeting that Al Qaeda should be killing more Americans, for “freedom”, you wouldn’t be hearing any whining about “cancel culture”.

Now let’s compare deaths…

9 Likes

Yep. I think that’s one of the key dangers with populism. Send up the weather balloon (tweet) then act according to response. It’s horrifying.

And @Ratel - along those lines, it’s so crummy hearing people say, “well, they had underlying conditions,” when hearing about someone dying of COVID. Can you imagine telling someone you recently lost a loved one to cancer and them responding not, “oh, how shitty! Fuck cancer!” But instead, “Oh, but he must’ve had some underlying conditions.” Or, “but really he died of the organ failure, right, not the cancer?”

13 Likes

“They should have been a fighter.”

12 Likes

In Germany: a Covid-denying activist compares herself to a Nazi resistance fighter. One of her security guards quits on the spot, handing in his vest while saying “I won’t do security for this bullshit. You are trivializing the Holocaust.” As he is led peacefully away the young activist turns away and flees the stage in tears instead of finishing her speech.

29 Likes
18 Likes

There are still lots of religions that discourage women from wearing pants, unfortunately…

12 Likes
9 Likes

That’s the catch exactly. I have no idea what insurance coverage would be like, but to get the benefit, you have to get it before you know if you are going to get very ill. Not something many people will be willing to do.

13 Likes

And I immediately thought of this

It’s the same problem.

20 Likes

Too many work environments, too. I have a cousin who had to deal with this on a daily basis back in the day:

14 Likes

Exactly. Feigned ignorance, incompetence, or helplessness is all part of the tr0lling. If called on it or thwarted in the attempt to get the desired response, they cry. That immediately casts the tr0ll as the victim who has been wronged in some way.

16 Likes

Tip for would-be freedom fighters: Never publicly compare yourself to heroes of past movements, even if you think such comparisons are warranted. If there’s a clear parallel to be made there then let your fans make it themselves.

In the United States this unfortunate tendency usually manifests itself as some person of privilege likening themselves to Rosa Parks.

18 Likes

To be sure, they’re not going to accomplish their objectives by following your advice.

5 Likes
19 Likes

Covid elimination is entirely possible if you take it seriously. And you don’t need to be an isolated rural backwater to do it.

18 Likes

18 Likes

13 Likes

yeah. he keeps trying. Key West doesn’t give a good dogdamn. KW banned plastic bags and straws, despite Tallahassee saying municipalities can’t do that.
hell, masks in KW would be some clothing in a city that looooves to parade about in a banana hammock or g string and pasties. if they’d match a mask to the scant patches of cloth they will wear, it would be an improvement, I suppose :man_shrugging:

12 Likes