Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

This is what I have been warning about for months. When the ICU’s close, the patients don’t just go away, it means the acuity on every other unit goes through the roof, because that patient can’t be transferred to the ICU, and stays where they are. In your unit, which is not built or staffed to be an ICU. It doesn’t matter. It is one now. I have had that happen to me on a very small scale, for a matter of only several hours, and it is terrifying and exhausting when you know there is an endpoint, you just have to get there. Staff will do everything they can, and lots of stuff they probably should not, but they will push to exhaustion for their patients. But there isn’t an endpoint of several hours this time. You can’t do this for days, weeks, months until there is sufficient vaccine to effectively end the crisis. We will lose patents to things we should not. We will lose nurses and providers to depression, burnout, fatigue and disillusionment.

IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!!

29 Likes

Which is why we needed a uniform national policy, not a patchwork of constantly shifting policies.

13 Likes
12 Likes

I don’t understand how you could even have a Democratic political campaign without starting every sentence with this.

17 Likes

From CERN. 59 pages, so can’t easily do a tl;dr but here’s the Conclusion:

Conclusion
• Emerging scientific evidence showing that traces of SARS-CoV-2 can be found in aerosols and small droplets.
• More statistical evidence on the viability to cause COVID-19 infection of airborne transmission is needed
• Safe distance of 1-2 meters still important but may only be valid for (larger) droplets and contact transmission modes
• General use of surgical-type masks will significantly reduce the risk of airborne transmission
• The temperature of the air, alone, induced by A/C units does not effect (positively or negatively) the viability of
SARS-CoV-2 (can live with -4oC and 56oC [5]). Although, RH might have an effect.
• Most effective measures indoors: 1) Dilute the air (Ventilation + windows/doors) ; 2) Avoid recirculation;
3) use of PPE (masks)
• Other compensatory measures can be prescribed based on a Risk-based approach by the Organic Unit and
the possibility to adopt of the precautionary principle in these ‘uncharted territories’
• Reassure people with recommendations for protection in an era where there is still not enough scientific data
and understanding of how the virus is transmitted

16 Likes
13 Likes

And yet…

11 Likes

Maybe sit down before you read this thing.

~7000 wedding attendees. Indoors.

No.
Words.

27 Likes

I just can’t form coherent words on this one. The disrespect shown for the people who will be trying to save the folks these guys will try to kill is just infuriating.

26 Likes

I am so hearing you, Doc.

I am certain that, among that ~7000 there will be sick people who will expect to be treated by HCWs. Beyond a doubt.

I can’t think of a bigger diss and the wide-ranging implications of a second Sturgis-like community transmission via [asymptomatic or otherwise] spreaders just stagger me.

Correct.

This thread has some very angry New Yorkers in it, fully cognizant. And mighty pissed.

ETA: fkn grammar

20 Likes

Just so we are clear, its not just AZ

The Midwest is on fire, Western states are facing something they were quite certain they did not need to worry about, and the numbers in the East are not looking good.

22 Likes

Meanwhile, a country that currently is run competently and compassionately, with people united in common purpose for the health of ALL… has managed to reach out to this dude called “Joe Biden” to say… hey, we see y’all and we want to help:

Jesus wept.

Mentally I am pretty sure I moved to New Zealand about three years ago. My 2020 bingo card got so full it combusted.

20 Likes

Pima Country continues to fight alone.

12 Likes

Oh god.

Murdering people welcomed as ‘light at end of the tunnel’ for struggling travel industry.

Don’t have time to link to the post earlier talking about how long it may take for incubation to be sufficient for testing.

13 Likes

The Sunday night wedding capped a three-day affair, which began Friday night with four hours of festivities, and continued Saturday with Sabbath services, including a bris of an 8-day-old boy.

tenor(1)

19 Likes

I spent a good half hour looking for contact information so I could tell them to go to hell.

11 Likes

I just hope that innocent kid makes it through this okay.

15 Likes

Any condemnation will be painted as antisemitism. Sooo frustrating.

13 Likes

This via an article on Vox. Passengers tested negative two days before, spread COVID all over the plane (it appears). Thanks to :new_zealand:'s rigorous 14-day quarantine protocol, this sort of thing can actually be traced with a touch more reliability.

So for those who find themselves playing “Pre-prints & Studies, the Gathering” with COVID “skeptics”, here’s a good card for you to play.

15 Likes

That is utterly not shocking, but good to have it documented. My opinion is still that the airport is the more likely source of contagion than the flight, but as these are not really separable, doesn’t matter. This one, with the different countries of origin (but no info on shared layovers) would support the flight as the source, though.

18 Likes