Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

This is the response to 7 positive tests. Would never happen here, of course. We are “ruggedly independent!”

17 Likes

Most airports here rely on contact tracing. Which if say a maintenance worker going through a terminal interacting with other employees, going past stores& restaurants and innumerable travelers going everywhere- is a somewhat inadequate response.

Airport testing is finally coming to most major US airports shortly- the FAA has still not finalized the regs they need to operate under. And being the US - it’s private pay.

15 Likes

Determination.

They’re heroes, really.

15 Likes

Overcoming COVID in 2020 has become a challenge for billions of people all across the globe regardless of their occupation or social status. The pandemic has affected all areas of our lives, becoming a series of trials and tribulations for many professionals, including photographers.

Far behind hospital front lines and on deserted city streets, photojournalists have been striving to capture the most vital moments of the global fight against coronavirus. Their work is as essential as that of other professionals, who have to battle a pandemic of this magnitude. Thanks to their images, they have frozen in time how our lives have dramatically changed over a short period.

Not only does this contest seek to preserve such a unique moment in world history, but it is devoted to those who witnessed these unparalleled, poignant, and at times heartbreaking episodes impacting people’s lives.

Winners will be announced on March 11, 2021 - the anniversary of the announcement of the coronavirus pandemic by the World Health Organization.

7 Likes

“I’m really scared, but seeing family is very important to me,”

“Thanksgiving is Thanksgiving. Christmas is Christmas. New Year’s is New Year’s. If people die it’s going to happen, and there’s nothing we can do about it until we get a vaccine.”

Such bravery and selfless…er, selfishness. :medal_sports:

18 Likes

Yeah, about that…

17 Likes

25 Likes

i-am-angry-hate-you-gif-22

18 Likes

McDonough… Just a note, McDonough is black majority, but it looks like all (or almost all) of the kids in the picture were white. According to this, the school is majority white:

Unsurprising.

18 Likes

I think the principal should authorize the biology teacher to flunk each and every student at the dance, as each and every one has shown a grave lack of understanding basic scientific principles they are likely currently covering in their coursework.

See how they like taking summer school after graduation, even if it’s remote learning.

ETA: 35 years later, if there’s anything still rattling around in my tin-can skull, it’s the concepts of osmosis, diffusion, etc.

18 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/who-lives-and-who-dies-bursting-covid-wards-force-docs-to-make-dire-decisions

The last pages, Pothof said, deal with how the hospital will implement its crisis standard of care: when doctors will be forced to decide who can receive treatment and who cannot.

Arizona is the only state to have actually activated its crisis standards of care in an official, statewide way, and is the first state in U.S. history to do so.

Whoohoo, we’re first.

Of course, not really.

But few hospitals or states announce when they’ve transitioned to crisis standards of care. Rather, it tends to come out after the fact, like in New York City, where doctors were forced to make life-or-death decisions with few resources at their disposal.

21 Likes

First, but highly unlikely to be last. This winter will be ugly.

21 Likes

Population of Ontario, about 14.7 million.
Population of Quebec, about 8.6 million.
Population of Alberta, about 4.4 million.

Alberta is posting more new cases daily than either, even while Ontario is in the throes of a second wave.

Premier Jason Kenney, who would be a Trumpist if he lived in the US (and maybe is anyway) totally dropped the ball.

18 Likes

Premier Jason Kenney, who would be a Trumpist if he lived in the US (and maybe is anyway) totally dropped the ball.

We’ll line those up beside the balls Doug Ford of Ontario and Scott Moe from Saskatchewan dropped… who’d have thought “common sense” and “business oriented” could kill so many people… /s

My poor opinion, expressed yesterday, of Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health appears to be shared…

… and the former mayors are piling on too …

13 Likes

Please tell this to German heads of Bundesländer.

But the economy!
And Christmas!
And the schools must remain open and in-person!
Also, we need to celebrate New Year’s Eve with fucking fireworks like in a war zone plus booze! It’s important!

Fuck this shit, fuck me in particular.

At this point, political partisanship in Germany is back. We had a consensus in spring. It’s failing. No: it has failed.

16 Likes
22 Likes
28 Likes

For educational purposes, my brother put together a probably educated layperson level lecture on covid vaccines. No comment on production values, but the info is on point.

12 Likes
21 Likes

Trujillo will start receiving death threats in 3…2…

13 Likes