Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Careful with that line of arguments:

These are two different factors. The prevalent variant with it’s high contagiousness, e.g., might well have evolved in China, but the variant took off took off from Italy. That was the “point” Alexander Kekulé was clumsily trying to make. We missed a fucking opportunity there.

well, we’ve seen it affects older people worst, and that people might confuse it with the flu, or strokes and heart attacks. and also that it spreads around so well because many people are unaware they even have it

so given that, it wouldn’t surprise me if we discovered it was out and about for a while in some sparsely populated area before it broke out in wuhan.

i get that the chinese government would love that… at least as much as other governments would love that it came from scary sounding wet markets.

im not sure it even matters except for the sake of knowing. i just thought it was still in the reasonable guesswork category and not scientifically based consensus.

2 Likes

Not quite sure what you’re saying here: that there is a variant that is contagious and another which is lethal and that they might come from different places?

I expect that there might be variability in those things, but as far as I’ve read it was transmitting easily and killing lots* of people in Wuhan from day one, so unless there was some variant only as lethal as the flu floating around, I don’t see how it could have “hidden” anywhere.

* Lots of people if you care about people, hardly anyone if you’re a Republican. The glass is half-full of death!

2 Likes
10 Likes
17 Likes

Not to be outdone, when Pfizer and BioNTech became the first Western vaccine maker to announce promising results, with 90 per cent efficacy, days later Sputnik V’s makers said their vaccine was even better — by two percentage points.

Pretty much all you need to know.

5 Likes

There’s always one, I guess.

14 Likes

No, I’m saying that there seems to be a variant which is probably more infectious. And that was what Kekulé was meant. The G variant, or 614G, substituting
to a G base. However:
It’s complicated.

See, e.g.

but also

and

8 Likes

In the early, strict, lockdown in Ireland traffic plummeted but killings on the road went up. The generally low rate of killing on the roads here is due to the fact of cars being safer for those inside them allied with the fact of the design dominance of cars driving pedestrians and cyclists off the streets.

What stops people speeding is congestion, rather than prioritising not killing people over getting somewhere a minute earlier.

11 Likes
13 Likes

Oncology. Perfect. Excellent place to let this bug loose. I can hear it now. “They didn’t die of covid, they had cancer you sheeple!” Yeah, that’s where I get fired for pushing someone.

21 Likes

The problem is that people might be afraid to take it. I’ve talked to a friend in Russia, and there’s a lot of FUD about the vaccine going on. It’s mostly because people there don’t trust their government.

13 Likes

Looks like air traffic overall was about 1/3 of normal for the holiday.

13 Likes

Lots of smaller airports will shutter their doors.

American Airlines will also terminate services at airports in Williamsport, Pennsylvania (IPT) and New Haven, Connecticut (HVN) in addition to Stewart.

American Airlines has served Stewart International since 1990.

15 Likes

Not just one. Family member undergoing cancer treatment has observed how some staff at the cancer clinic are less than conscientious about wearing masks, even to the point of making a bit of a game out of slipping the mask down when the head nurses aren’t looking. One of the head oncologists attended a funeral recently unmasked, no distancing. FB has a bunch of posts about the big orthopedic mega-practice not enforcing mask usage among staff or patients. Good times…

17 Likes
16 Likes

Covid only fans.

15 Likes

I would be interested and would face my needlephobia to get it, but I am halfway down the list of priorities.

11 Likes

Received this alert today from the state next door:

I guess things are bad enough to send out a public safety alert, but not so bad that the government can muster enough willpower to take official action?

smdh

24 Likes

Yeah. Imagine telling someone a loved one dies of cancer and them responding, “but they didn’t die of cancer, it was really the organ failure that killed them.” :woman_facepalming:t4: Ridiculous.

“Comorbidity” and “underlying conditions” is like the “it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity,” of the 2020 death squads.
Assholes.

22 Likes