Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

7 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/u-s-will-delay-shipping-half-of-initial-vaccine-supply

Warp ½, Mr. Sulu!

Fixed in 4 days, this Covid thing is a joke!

12 Likes

I think it is a combo.

Why would we need a 5g network? Wasn’t a 3g network enough? They clearly invented this to activate microchips, aka the mark of the beast.

6 Likes
8 Likes

3g only zombifies the gullible and easily-controlled 60% of the population. To complete the plans for world domination, it is necessary to control the more intelligent and strong-willed 40% (you and me, for example), and so 5g was developed.

9 Likes

I was zombified way back by TDMA.

6 Likes

I warned Samuel Morse about those Satanic wires and their corpse-reanimating emanations

10 Likes

Nobody paid attention. Marconi invented the wireless telegraph and now we have COVID! Open UP YOUR EYES !!!111!1!ONZE!11

13 Likes

So you’re not even one of the more effective zombies? Condolences.

7 Likes
17 Likes

“The editor-in-chief of a weekly report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has told House Democrats that she was ordered to destroy an email showing that Trump political appointees attempted to interfere with its publication — and that she believes the order came from Dr. Robert R. Redfield, the agency’s director.” NYTimes

15 Likes

And then there is this:

Hopeful, yes?
18 Likes

What is your read on the AMA’s temperature for increasing the total number of physician training slots in med schools and reduction of (especially residents and fellows) work hours? That has historically been the biggest barrier to reducing physician stress levels.

Only if there is room for all the qualified candidates in med school.

8 Likes

The AMA has historically been torn between advocating for docs and advocating for public health. On the training slot front, they have had a position to keep them pretty lean so the demand stays high. The issue here, though, (as I see it, to be fair) has more to do with the increase in debt load vs specialty choice. Primary care is always the lowest paid field, and the one that is taking a big hit in this pandemic. It is hard to justify taking on $250-300k in student debt to get a job making $125-150k, when for the same investment you can go into dermatology, cardiology or any other subspecialty and make 3-4 times that. For a few more years, you can go into a surgical subspecialty like ophthalmology or orthopedics and clear $1mill. No, it’s not all about money, as I said, I love what I do, but the incentive structure pushes folks staggering under mountains of debt into fields where they can get it paid off as quickly as possible and start a life. Just to be clear, I am not a member of the AMA, I have not been pleased with some of the positions they have taken and do not speak for them in any way, shape or form.

17 Likes

Stanford reported getting 11,000 applications for 90 seats
Boston University School of Medicine got 12,024 for about 110 seats
That’s an increase of 50% and 27% respectively over previous years, which seems to indicate a huge problem in our system. Edit to clarify that the fact there are so many applicants and so few spots even in less freakish years seems like a failing on our part.

Thank you to all the HCWs out there! I wish there were more of you to share the burden. :heart:

12 Likes
12 Likes

We’re definitely drifting into conspiracy theories that I’d happily work to cover up.

5 Likes

$500,000 of college debt for you, $500,000 of college debt for you, $500,000 of college debt for everyone!

Heh, just got to this comment.

If only there were some way to deal with that college debt issue! Alas, there isn’t, I mean how are we going to pay for jet fighters that can’t fly in rain, I mean college tuition for all? Also, if we did we’d just create a nation of dependency, instead of hardworking people like me who paid for school by washing dishes in the summer.

15 Likes

I am sorry. My bad.

2 Likes

Thank you! I had forgotten about the specialty/sub specialty vs generalist balance. You would think that would be handled through limitations in residency & fellowship slots, but the big teaching hospitals have generally expanded their sub specialty fellowship programs, not decreased them.

11 Likes