Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Wonder if our generation will keep wearing masks every winter even after we don’t “have to” anymore

I’ve also wondered about the suburbanization of America in the mid-twentieth century—I never saw anybody attribute it to memories of 1918, but it seems pretty obvious now—that could happen again

9 Likes

Of course, suburbanites are the biggest problem.

2 Likes

Particularly the incubation period. Asymptomatic transmission is the secret weapon of the virus.

16 Likes
14 Likes
18 Likes
8 Likes

Well there was that one case:

But it’s quite a long shot (and ewwww):

patient A had a bad habit in personal hygiene that he often blew nose using his own hand, which was what he again did before touching the button of closing door in elevator. As shown in Fig. 5, on January 17th, patient A blew nose using his own hand before touching the button of closing door in elevator, then 2 min after patient A got out of the elevator, patient D entered the same elevator and touched the same button. The most important thing is that patient D immediately flossed with a toothpick after touching the elevator button.

16 Likes

Not entirely.

14 Likes

That chart in question:
11 Likes

Well, the bottomline is: keep on cleaning and wear better masks!

13 Likes

I want all of these people to sign living wills saying that they refuse all medical intervention if they are diagnosed with covid-19. Why not, it’s just a hoax that’s not as bad as the flu.

13 Likes

Also, wash your hands. :sweat_drops: :palms_up_together:

18 Likes

My takeaway was not to touch public surfaces then immediately stick my fingers into any face holes, but your way works, too :wink:

Your original post was (I think) spot on. Cleaning is good and all, but it’s gotten to the point of being security theater at some places. Places where people are walking around with those useless mouth shield plastic things…

16 Likes

Always!

This is precisely my concern. I have been washing my hands, grocery shopping and even cleaning the soaps I bring home. But I have read around that contaminated particles that float through the air are neglected means of transmission. And it seems that most homemade masks today do not offer good protection.

Some people are saying that N95 masks are the best ones to protect us. But it became a little expensive and sometimes hard to find. Some people are saying that we can reuse these masks. But I have found conflicting information.Is it really ok to keep it?

7 Likes

i work in retail, and i think cleaning is not so much a direct protection against the virus as a social communication to all of our customers which says: “we’re taking this seriously and we hope you are too.”

masks are part of that, but people put them on and think they’re good to go. masks are just one piece of mindfulness, social distance, not coming in if you feel sick, etc.

19 Likes

If you have the option, based on what I’ve read, limiting the amount of time that you’re in any potential exposure situation is another good tactic. It’s what we’ve been doing for a while now. We have homemade masks with pockets to add another layer of filter, but I can tell they’re not airtight. If I have to go inside anywhere I try my best to limit it to 15 minutes and move quickly so if I am breathing in contaminated air, it’s not for very long.

That’s an excellent point I hadn’t thought of.

Side note, last time I was in a store I saw an elderly woman in a mask reaching under her glasses to rub at her eyeball. :frowning:

14 Likes

Agreed. I didn’t mean it as a criticism. I was worried for her. At the beginning of all this I was having bad dreams where I was in the store and touched my face and then stressed out until I woke up.

7 Likes

I know. I see people doing this and even worse things.

I had to confess I did it more than one time. I also found myself adjusting my glasses that insist on slipping from the nose.

5 Likes

:face_vomiting:

So, not fomites so much as literal fluid transfer.

9 Likes

Young people ignore covid-19 and fill bars in São Paulo: ‘We already got crazy’. Even with orders for the bars to close after 8:00 pm, groups of young people gathered in different parts of the capital.

10 Likes