Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

7 Likes

Herd immunity as a COVID-19 healthcare policy has many costs: human lives, suffering, exhausted traumatized health care workers who quit their jobs and… entire health care systems.

Meanwhile, if you are part of Cult45’s power circle, you get special treatment if you get the coronavirus. And if you are not, even if you are an essential worker yea verily even a medical doctor who is a critical care medical director you are left to fend for yourself.

The overwhelming silence and pitiless void of leadership during this pandemic, from those complicit GOP enablers from :tangerine: :clown_face: on down to the last true believer American town mayor who is a pandemic denier, will live in infamy… if there are enough survivors with enough brain function to keep this history alive, in between climate emergencies, white supremacist shit-disturbers, and supply chain problems stemming from the consequences of a pandemic.

19 Likes

Yes.

My money’s 50:1 that they see a useful antichrist figure in this one venal crazy dude whose crimes against humanity will probably get pardoned… at least on the federal level.

17 Likes

So much hate.

This is currently a group of people without whom we would be immeasurably better off, as far in the opposite direction from essential workers as I can possibly imagine.

20 Likes

14 Likes

If we did a dispassionate epidemiological analysis of “which group of people are at highest risk of spreading the disease to the largest number of people if they aren’t vaccinated immediately?” then I imagine the White House would be at the top of the list.

But yeah, it’s hard to feel anything other than blind rage considering how these people have done everything in their power to worsen the pandemic .

18 Likes
11 Likes
Summary
New cases reported during the past 24 hours 0
Active cases
At the border 56
In the community 0
Under investigation/other 0
Total 56
Most recent case reported 12 December 2020
Most recent case reported due to community transmission (spread within our communities) 18 November 2020
17 Likes
17 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes

https://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/article/Renowned-Cliff-House-Restaurant-To-Close-15799233.php

The Cliff House ended in-house dining in March, owing to the pandemic. After 10 weeks of offering only takeout service, the restaurant shut down to diners as the pandemic struck. The operators said they attempted to try takeout-only service in early June, but after 10 weeks of that, closed down completely in mid-July, saying the restaurant was losing too much money as a takeout-only operation.

Food at the Cliff House was perfectly good, but you didn’t go there for the food, you went for the location, and that location also meant that you’d never order take-out from there.

None of this had to happen.

14 Likes

I’m seeing this and similar popping up, but no source. Does anyone know where it’s from? I get the sense there’s some timing lag not being accounted for, like how a fiscal year doesn’t match a calendar year, but haven’t been able to track down the origin.

5 Likes

Haha! Suck the price of failure, assholes!

16 Likes

Source, or it didnt happen :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Twitter bio says they work for Newsmax. Not enough grains of salt in the world for that…

12 Likes

Right, that’s what I’m thinking, it’s been on a couple different sites and I want to get to the bottom of it. Thought maybe someone here knew what it came from. So far i can’t find it on CDC…shocker.

ETA: found a fact check:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/dec/11/facebook-posts/chart-comparing-2020-us-death-toll-previous-years-/

I was right, it’s bunko

17 Likes

I had started to dig through the CDC data (what a quagmire!). The most recent data was for 2018, but even then the deaths for 2018 up to Nov 2018 were at about 2.3 million. Which is (checks notes) less than the 2.5M number in the chart.

No clue where the 2019 numbers came from or the 2020 numbers.

7 Likes

From the linked article:

“Looking at the number of deaths each year through week 44 (the most recent weeks are incomplete in 2020 due to the length of time it takes to receive and tabulate death certificates), we can see the totals over the same time periods each year. There have been nearly 317,000 more deaths in 2020 than in the same time period of 2019,” Rossen said.

Oh, and on this:

Have you ever played around on the census data pages? It’s cool that we have so much, but every time I start to look around I wish I knew programming other than excel and html so I could make better use of the data.

9 Likes

CDC Data shows excess deaths from COVID-19 pretty clearly: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

11 Likes