Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

No clue what criteria they are using. We (at my office) have been hit very hard, to the point of having difficulty staffing due to the numbers in quarantine. Not to sound too much like a whiner, but we are kinds used to this. Peds is always the lowest priority for everything. Had an administrator once tell me that peds is useful as a dog-and-pony show to generate donations in fundraisers, other than that totally useless. As far as generating income, he was probably right, but that is a broadly held opinion in many quarters about many things.

21 Likes

Meanwhile, Tegnell has continued to defend Sweden’s overall strategy of avoiding lockdowns. He also argues that there’s no real evidence that face masks work, and Swedes are among the only people left going about their daily lives largely mask-free, with shops, restaurants and gyms all still open.

I still hold that he is a psychopath.

17 Likes

Several local politicians, whose names are not worth saying, were trying to use the Scandinavian nation as an example that measures of social distance were of no use and worse, destroyed the economy.

Will they now admit they were wrong?

11 Likes

I’m so sorry :frowning: I would give you mine if I could. It is so much more important that you be able to safely work with people - I am completely fine here in my home office.
Internet hugs. :heart:

14 Likes

85%, hmmm? That’s gonna take a while. On the order of 654.5 million doses. yup, no time real soon.

20 Likes

I’m not saying that more fans should be let in to bigger stadiums, I’m saying that maybe it is a bad idea to put 2000 fans in a stadium that can’t normally hold more than three times that.

7 Likes

or we could just learn to accept having less information about each other’s moods all the time

8 Likes

Can I just say again, IT DID NOT FUCKING HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS but there are assholes everywhere, including these, who apparently think the right to leer at naked women trumps everyone else’s right to live. FREE-DUMB!!

24 Likes

Operation Bare Minimum

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/what-has-happened-to-the-promised-doses-of-the-covid-vaccine

Under the Trump administration’s vaccine distribution plan, federal officials arrange for doses of the vaccine to reach the state level. State officials then receive the doses and distribute the vaccine locally; lack of funding for the distribution effort at the state level has stoked fears that the effort to inoculate the country will run into serious problems.

16 Likes

And the disaster will be blamed on the Biden administration. Do not look for any effort to correct this for the next few weeks, folks.

18 Likes

We’ve already established that it is unpossible for the Senate to confirm any cabinet member demonstrated to be a card-carrying member of the Democratic party.

9 Likes

I remember how much praise dr Tengele recieved here in the forums, even when people in Sweden were dying of COVID at a way higher rate than in neighbouring countries. The superiority of Swedish approach was a nonsense from the start.

Edit: sorry, I made a typo. I obviously meant dr Tengell. Probably got confused with other similar sounding name.

14 Likes

sigh…

15 Likes

Obligatory: “It didn’t have to be this way.”

20 Likes

I think there was push-back on the harsh terms I used to describe him, but I don’t remember many people, certainly not in the Covid threads, going to bat for his approach. Maybe, “Sweden is certainly doing better than you’d expect another country following the same approach to do.”

But I’ve just listened to what he’s said, instead of watching the numbers, and he’s clearly psychotic: his rationales and positions shift around with the wind, always sliding to anti-scientific nonsense and “herd immunity” the moment the numbers start looking better, then back to weasel words when they get worse.

10 Likes

The Supreme Federal Court of Brazil ruled that the vaccine against COVID19 is mandatory.

“I won´t be vaccinated, period.” Stated the president last tuesday.

edit:

The very same Court unanimously rejected an appeal that intended to release parents from vaccinating their children. The appeal that came to the Supreme Court questions if parents can stop vaccinating their children based on ‘philosophical, religious, moral and existential convictions’

22 Likes

I think I remember people praising Swedish approach of not mandating social disancing and masks and leaving it to personal responsibility. I think it was mostly one user, and earlier during pandemic.
They also explained how it’s impossible in Sweden for the government to introduce such laws.

In other news Polish government just banned all public New Year celebrations and ordered a curfew from 19:00 Dec 31 to 6:00 Jan 1. It’s refreshing to see a good decision from them after recent series of failures.

12 Likes

He doesn’t look to well. I bumped a contrast on the photo a little bit to show what’s really happening:
So my theory is that COVID zombified him, and now he is trying to spread the disease as far and wide as possible.

13 Likes

Admittedly, that seemed to be the plan before he got it…

3 Likes

He’s really got that Steve Bannon look going

13 Likes