Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Thanks, someone needs to offset my gloom and doom postings.

14 Likes

Is it just the articles that make it to my feed, or has Newsweek taken on a strongly liberal position?

10 Likes

I don’t want to blame everything wrong with Silicon Valley on Stanford, but … I’m not sure why not to

6 Likes

I kind of assume my employer (UC Berkeley) shares some blame, though I’d like to think at least some of our kids are ones causing a stink when Google wants to get into the automated flying death robot business.

Carnagie Mellon also seems to have a ethics-free tech-psycho focused program.

6 Likes
21 Likes
17 Likes
3 Likes

I like the cut of this man’s jib.

15 Likes

I guess this is a term from, like, self-help books marketed to middle managers?

5 Likes

“Whoever wants to refuse the vaccination outright, he should, please also always carry a document with the inscription: ‘I don’t want to be vaccinated!’” " Wolfram Henn, a human geneticist, told Bild . “I want to leave the protection against the disease to others! I want, if I get sick, to leave my intensive care bed and ventilator to others.”

That will never work. Now, a tattoo across the forehead…

9 Likes

Carbon steel riveted “med-alert” bracelet.

3 Likes

[Watches Christmas packages stream in without any apparent delay or disruption.]

If I were suddenly President in the middle of all this, I know it would cost me a lot of goodwill with my likely liberal voters, but I would have said, “Mr. Bezos, you are now in charge of vaccine distribution.”

4 Likes

This is a translation issue. The original statement is in German, and he is referring to the Querdenker anti-mask idiots. Lateral thinker(s) is a translation commonly used.
Before Covid, Querdenker had neutral-to-positive connotations as in “thinking outside the box”, being non-mainstream or holding contrarian (but valid as such) views.
A similar term is Querkopf; the connotations here are veering towards the negative, as in someone being stubborn or contrarian for the sake of it.

Etymology (so far outside the box that it won’t inbox properly, apparently):

16 Likes

JFC. “Defining down”?!? That’s some primo grade office-speak in that article!

Kind of a side note, but is anyone else made a bit nervous by all the incorrectly measured vaccines showing up? Here it worked out well, as we got more doses than expected since several vials had about 20% extra, but it makes me worried about overall quality control processes, and where else they might have failed…

11 Likes

British ministers have been told that there is no evidence that the new variant is inherently more deadly, or that it is more resistant to vaccines than others, but that it is significantly easier to transmit.

maybe it isn’t more deadly to each person who gets exposed, but if it is easier to spread ( some disagreement still ) then it would, in fact, make it more deadly overall.

lots more if it means hospitals get overwhelmed by a flood of new cases :confused:

maybe that’s just semantics but the idea that there’s a version of covid that moves faster than the one we already have is scary to say the least

19 Likes

there has to be some exchange for refusing to take the vaccine. especially here in the states it might be hard to get enough people to reach community* immunity otherwise.

you can require kids to take it before going back to school. maybe get some private employers to require it for in-office work. maybe use health codes for service workers? but how to get the 20-30% of america who believes trump is god emperor?

( hmmm… maybe i guess if we also gave people money to take it - $1000 bucks? it might be a good way to jump start the economy and get people vaccinated. )

( * herd is my least favorite four letter word )

6 Likes

10 Likes

The overfill is pretty routinely found in every vaccine we give, it’s just that most of the time it’s not this precious and we just pitch the leftovers. So, in answer, no, no concerns.

18 Likes

Fauci deserves a goddamn medal.

27 Likes

Due to this new fast-spreading strain of COVID, the UK’s planned christmas relaxation of the rules has been dropped, and we’re now all going into tier 4 restrictions on Boxing day.

Now I’m not seeing my family for the rest of the year, which is sensible, but still sucks.

21 Likes