Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Pope’s personal doctor dies from Covid-19 complications
5 hr 23 min ago From CNN

Pope Francis’ personal doctor, Fabrizio Soccorsi, has died as a result of “complications due to Covid,” the Vatican’s newspaper L’Osservatore Romano announced on Saturday.

It’s unclear exactly when he was last in direct contact with Pope Francis.

20 Likes
16 Likes

Oh god.

“But for this one, why do I have to be a guinea pig?”

A bunch of people have already been “guinea pigs”. Not a few of them died of covid-19 because they got the placebo so that you could know that it is efficacious and safe. Why do I think that and a healthcare worker doesn’t? That 40% of healthcare workers don’t?

Actually, I am mis-remembering: to my surprise it appears that none of the people who died during the studies, at least for Pfizer and Moderna, appear to have died of Covid, placebo or not.

19 Likes

I’ll their vaccine! (But yeah, they need to step up.)

10 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes

“The [coronavirus] is mowing through Arizona like a sharpened scythe,” Gerald wrote in the report. “Fatalities are stacking up like cordwood in advance of a long winter. Barring intervention, daily cases and fatalities will double or perhaps quadruple before the outbreak collapses under the weight of natural, not vaccine-induced, immunity later this spring.”

New Zealand:

16 Likes
15 Likes

Mass. Murderer.

14 Likes

Crossposting, because, why not both? :frowning:

20 Likes

The threads of evil in our country are woven into a tight fabric.

12 Likes

If you don’t follow health requirements- you shouldn’t be allowed in the Capitol building.

25 Likes

MSNBC showed video of one of those lockdown rooms. When a Republican rep was offered a mask he refused, saying he “didn’t want to get political.” At this point all I can say is I am done with them. Into the pit with them and their bullshit.

29 Likes

What horseshit. It was only political- he wears one on a plane - which he takes all the time- and which isn’t packed as closely as people huddled together under a table.

I hope she names them.

24 Likes

Any chance infections of congresscritters and their staff will be sequenced, allowing for accurate assignation of blame?

12 Likes

It should happen- but I don’t know if it will. I certainly hope it does not hit House Dems more before the impeachment vote.

16 Likes

:man_facepalming: UVA only has about 60% acceptance. I keep asking, if we won’t take it ourselves, how can we expect the general public to take it? Needing 70-90% uptake to get this bastard under control looks like a tough ask right now.

25 Likes

This is on top of suggestions to go with only one dose or one dose with a second dose coming at any point in the future available or even from a different vaccine.

9 Likes

Only about 2,000 people speak the Cherokee language fluently. The tribe is saving some vaccine doses for them

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/us/cherokee-nation-language-speakers-vaccine-trnd/index.html

Prioritizing the vaccination of Cherokee speakers and elders has also had an unintended consequence: It has built trust in the vaccine among other citizens of the Cherokee Nation.

Hoskin [Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin Jr.] said he’s seen some hesitation among Cherokee Nation citizens about taking the vaccine. But the tribe’s decision to vaccinate native speakers early helped ease the anxieties that some people might have otherwise had, he added.

“People revere elders in the Cherokee Nation,” he said. “I think when they saw that group of people being made a high priority and celebrating it, that surely has built some confidence.”

24 Likes

I’ll admit that in a sense I’m sort of glad I’m not at the front of the line, and therefore am guaranteed to have hundreds of millions go before me, with half a year or more for potential issues to come to light. But that’s because I only leave our happy little mud pit a couple times a week, and only then with a half-face respirator in my plague bag.

But if I had the daily vulnerability that you and so many others do, I’d be hanging out in the parking lot of the nearest clinic doing vaccinations, trying to suck any remaining fluid from the discarded vials in their dumpster.

14 Likes