Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Whoever prepared that article did a good job of presenting a very complicated subject in an accessible manner. It does, of necessity, simplify some parts, but hits all the vital areas. Should be required reading among those making decisions!

19 Likes

They already leaping even without the vaccination, so why not?

“No, you can’t have a pandemic and your Roaring 20s parties at the same time!”

15 Likes

Elon’s gf/baby mama caught the virus

9 Likes

WTF?

Was she actively trying to get infected?

17 Likes
19 Likes

Well, fuck, this sucks.

No indication this was vaccine related, but it was temporally associated, and will increase vaccine anxiety in the public.

21 Likes

Or was she thinking it was only a matter of time, given the company she keeps?

16 Likes
10 Likes

No test results mentioned. My money’s on a head cold and she’s looking for sympathy?

7 Likes

I hope that’s not the case and it was more a statement of inevitability rather than actively trying to get sick
 she’s got a baby at home! But who knows what bullshit Musk is convincing her of. Too bad, I really like a lot of her music.

12 Likes

I sure hope so, because that was some really terrible phrasing.

I know! That was my first thought.

12 Likes

Notably, the Roaring '20s in the 20th century weren’t for everyone either. The image that we have of the roaring, hedonistic 1920s only applied to a very small segment of the population. For the rest of the world, the 1920s saw poverty, unemployment, political turmoil, the rise of political extremism and the failure of many of the Democracies created after WW1.

24 Likes

The pain

An obstetrician-gynecologist by training, Northrup rose to fame as a New York Times bestselling author of books like Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause . She was platformed by Oprah Winfrey on many occasions and was named by Reader’s Digest in 2013 as one of the 100 most trusted people in America. Her online fanbase is considerable: 149,000 followers on Instagram and over half a million fans on her Facebook page. For a medical doctor’s star to shine so brightly during a pandemic should be a boon, but Dr. Northrup is no ordinary doctor. Every night, she addresses tens of thousands of followers in ten-minute videos that deny the reality of the pandemic, promote every magical belief under the sun, and weave a grand Dungeons-and-Dragons -style narrative about the Age of Aquarius and Northrup’s Warriors of the Radical Light.

12 Likes

Norway secures 3.6 million additional Covid-19 vaccine doses

https://www.thelocal.no/20210108/norway-secures-36-million-additional-covid-19-vaccine-doses

12 Likes
19 Likes

I am beyond the time that side effects should be an issue, so, I have to say it wasn’t bad at all. The shot wasn’t any more uncomfortable than the mmr vaccine. The only side effect I had was a bit of stiffness and aching in the joints of that arm for about a day after. One of my coworkers had fatigue, but we were the only ones that noticed any side effects at all.

No extra appendages growing, no craving of brains. I call that a win.

30 Likes
12 Likes

Coronavirus variant is found in people in Japan who have been to Brazil.

Those tourists were infected when travelling in the state of Amazonas. According to an institute linked to the Japanese government, patients had a virus with a mutation similar to that seen in South Africa and which is a matter of concern as it has the ability to spread rapidly.

The situation in the north of Brazil is pretty serious, and yet the so called “herd immunity” has not been achieved:

24 Likes

The ants have had rather a head start.

Ants evolved from a lineage within the stinging wasps, and a 2013 study suggests that they are a sister group of the Apoidea.[11] In 1966, E. O. Wilson and his colleagues identified the fossil remains of an ant ( Sphecomyrma ) that lived in the Cretaceous period. The specimen, trapped in amber dating back to around 92 million years ago, has features found in some wasps, but not found in modern ants.[12] Sphecomyrma was possibly a ground forager, while Haidomyrmex and Haidomyrmodes , related genera in subfamily Sphecomyrminae, are reconstructed as active arboreal predators.[13] Older ants in the genus Sphecomyrmodes have been found in 99 million year-old amber from Myanmar.[14][15] A 2006 study suggested that ants arose tens of millions of years earlier than previously thought, up to 168 million years ago.[1] After the rise of flowering plants about 100 million years ago they diversified and assumed ecological dominance around 60 million years ago.[16][1][17][18]

Modern humans, specifically the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens , proceeded to colonize all the continents and larger islands, arriving in Eurasia 125,000–60,000 years ago,[27][28] Australia around 40,000 years ago, the Americas around 15,000 years ago, and remote islands such as Hawaii, Easter Island, Madagascar, and New Zealand between the years 300 and 1280.[29][30]

Family tree showing the extant hominoids: humans (genus Homo ), chimpanzees and bonobos (genus Pan ), gorillas (genus Gorilla ), orangutans (genus Pongo ), and gibbons (four genera of the family Hylobatidae: Hylobates , Hoolock , Nomascus , and Symphalangus ). All except gibbons are hominids.

The closest living relatives of humans are chimpanzees and bonobos (genus Pan ),[31][32] as well as gorillas (genus Gorilla ).[33] The gibbons (family Hylobatidae) and orangutans (genus Pongo ) were the first groups to split from the lineage leading to humans, then gorillas, and finally, chimpanzees. The splitting date between human and chimpanzee lineages is placed 4–8 million years ago, during the late Miocene epoch.[34][35] During this split, chromosome 2 was formed from the joining of two other chromosomes, leaving humans with only 23 pairs of chromosomes, compared to 24 for the other apes.[36]

The earliest fossils that have been proposed as members of the hominin lineage are Sahelanthropus tchadensis , dating from 7 million years ago; Orrorin tugenensis , dating from 5.7 million years ago; and Ardipithecus kadabba , dating to 5.6 million years ago. From these early species, the australopithecines arose around 4 million years ago, diverging into robust ( Paranthropus ) and gracile ( Australopithecus ) branches,[37] possibly one of which—such as A. garhi , dating to 2.5 million years ago—is an ancestor of the genus Homo .

14 Likes

Does that make it a mortal sin?

6 Likes