Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

3 Likes

i mean if you canā€™t require a company to bake cakes for all people due to sexual orientation, how can you require a company to employ all people due to religious orientation.

if sexual orientation and religious orientation are protected aspects of human identity as previously ruled so by the supreme court under equal protection bases - then companies are equally allowed to discriminate about service and employment on those bases because cake

canā€™t have your cake and eat it too.

( these are all terrible arguments of course. all businesses serving or employing members of the public should treat people the same. ie without discrimination. and with no special privileges for non infringing issues like vaccinations )

4 Likes

The scariest thing I saw today were indoor shoppers without masks. It was maybe 10% of them, but WTF assholes?!? Did the rules in the greater Boston area change while I wasnā€™t looking?

8 Likes

Reading that weā€™ll be dealing with this virus for ā€œa few more yearsā€ initially bummed me out. Iā€™m hoping that instead of making COVID ā€œmanageable,ā€ scientists will manage to eliminate it. This pandemic has really exposed weā€™re dealing with a significant portion of the population that wonā€™t willingly get vaccinated or take recommended preventative measures.

13 Likes

Itā€™s a freaking amazing - and increasingly rare - moment when Iā€™m in a store and see maybe half of the other shoppers wearing masks. Normal is less than 20% now in ā€œthe smartest city in Alabama.ā€

15 Likes
11 Likes

I hear you, but I expected better in a biotech hub. If people start slacking in the ā€œsmartā€ cities, then that does not bode well for anyone. Stay safe Boingers!

7 Likes

If I need anything frome Home Depot I go at 6 am, yesterday we tried a half hour before closing. Not too many people but no customers wearing masks. Almost all the employees were wearing masks.

We live on the water and there is a bar/restaurant within eyesight, they had a Halloween party last night, I saw photos from their Facebook page, it was wall to wall people not a single mask.

Of course my country is still littered with trump signs so I wouldnā€™t expect anyone to take any precautions.

3 Likes

Noteworthy however that their deaths/million is well below some EU countries that did lock down, like France, Spain, and Italy. I donā€™t know if this says something positive about their health care system, their natural tendency to not crowd together, or what. I think these things will be the subject of masters theses in schools of public health for decades.

2 Likes
12 Likes

A scary Halloween story, and a cautionary tale for those thinking about letting their guard down to visit family for the holidays.

17 Likes

Today, Tokyo Prefecture had only 9 new cases of COVID-19, marking the first time in 17 MONTHS the prefecture has been in single digits. Osaka Prefecture reported 7 new cases, in single digits for the first time in 15 MONTHS.

Nationwide, we had just 86 cases. I canā€™t remember the last time it was under 100.

Meanwhile, 72% of the population (the total population, not just the eligible population) is fully vaccinated and 77.5% of the population has had at least one dose.

This is huge. In August, we were seeing over 20k cases nationwide every day.

16 Likes

Edit:

Razak cited a recent paper that found roughly 10 to 12 per cent of people infected with COVID-19 could not return to work 12 months after their initial infection. Of the 88 per cent who did go back to work, one quarter had to do so in some kind of adjusted capacity.

Edit again:

Found it, the numbers refer to a study done in Wuhan on hospitalized patients, so the more severe starting point. Iā€™ve not seen anything to date estimating frequency of Long COVID over all cases, including asymptomatic.

Refers to (wow, the Lancet makes citing this hard)

• The Lancet, Volume 398, ISSUE 10302, ā€œ1-year outcomes in hospital survivors with COVID-19: a longitudinal cohort studyā€, P747-758, August 28, 2021
    Lixue Huang, MD Qun Yao, MD Xiaoying Gu, PhD Qiongya Wang, MD Lili Ren, PhD Yeming Wang, MD et al.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01755-4/fulltext

13 Likes

In kids, at least, the number seems to fall somewhere between 4% and 10% with unabating issues after 8-10 weeks. More numbers and higher precision will, unfortunately, come in.

18 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes
16 Likes

Unbelievably hilarious.

30 Likes

How many died of Covid again?

13 Likes

9,000 out of 378,000 employees. Wanna bet that goes down to a couple of hundred by next week? Thatā€™s 2.4%

The BLS says the average number of employees out everyday is 3%

18 Likes