Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

8 Likes

This article points out the variability in the human immune response between individuals, which is quite well known. My suspicion is that it does not tell the whole story, though. Circulating antibodies are not the end of the story in immunity, just the easiest to measure. Memory B-cells filed away for future need are probably more important, but much harder to measure. The number that would be valuable, but still probably far to small to be significant, is the rate of reinfection. That will be a known variable over the coming months to years. The other point that is very important to note is that there is more durable, vigorous and reliable immunity generated by vaccination than by natural infection. Again, this is as has been seen in plenty of other viral diseases and not a shock at all, but is reassuring that in this, covid acts like viruses we are more familiar with.

27 Likes

These articles are necessary as some people are spreading disinformation.

Mr. Jair Bolsonaro once again stated in his traditional speech on a social network that infection by the new Coronavirus is “more efficient than the vaccine”.

The statement contradicts what is advocated by health experts. Unlike vaccines, becoming infected with Covid-19 is life-threatening.

12 Likes

fuuuuck. No, it is not as effective as a vaccine. Damn it, why can he not just shut up?

20 Likes

IMHO He started the antivaxx routine last year as a political tool and to please his fanbase, but now he just don’t know how to change the discourse without seem weak and defeated.

Fortunately, despite the efforts of anti-vaccination activists, the majority of the population is aware and wants to be vaccinated.

14 Likes
22 Likes

Quote from the anti-masker, who keeps digging the hole deeper:

“All for something I don’t even believe in.”

I feel his pain. I don’t believe in private property, but they still arrested me.

13 Likes
7 Likes

A good discussion of the recently described myocarditis risk associated with the mRNA covid vaccines:

11 Likes

I just found out about this guy’s podcast. I thought his discussion on myocarditis was pretty informative.

6 Likes

I frequent his videos too. Good discussion, good presenter.

5 Likes

Thread:

11 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

Brazilian Ministry of Health wants to end use of CoronaVac, a chinese vaccine made by Sinovac, in the country.

Ministry’s sources fears that the overall effectiveness of the immunizing agent produced by the Instituto Butantan in the elderly is low.

The problem is that is very hard to find doses of other vaccines.

https://www.correiobraziliense.com.br/politica/2021/06/amp/4932373-ministerio-da-saude-quer-encerrar-uso-da-coronavac-no-pais.html

6 Likes
10 Likes

Second headline isn’t oneboxing for some reason, so here it is:
EU Treats Sinopharm-Vaccinated Moroccans As ‘Unvaccinated’

11 Likes

Oh, Florida.

13 Likes

Not surprising, but an unfortunate path to take.

14 Likes

does murdoch own tv stations there too???

4 Likes