Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

I finally got my first jab of Pfizer today. I was worried that my reservation might be cancelled because the City of Kobe has cancelled tens of thousands of reservations for later in the month in anticipation of supply shortfalls and are now halting new reservations except for people who have already had their first shot. I was able to make my reservation for my next shot on the spot, three weeks to the day from now.

18 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

Incidence of extremely low. Case numbers of active cases are low.

But everyone including me is apparently expecting we are going to fuck things up. Again.

Delta is here. Rt is at 1. And people including Braun and the terrible Laschet, who is quite probably going to be the next chancellor, don’t get that being fully vaccinated does not mean you can’t catch, multiply, and distribute the virus into parts of the population which are not vaccinated.

Laschet in particular is trying to woo voters from the neofascist AfD.

Laschet said verbatim in the state parliament: “I rarely, actually never, agree to the AfD. You said a true sentence today: Whenever someone arrives and says that 'science says‘, you are wise to question what they are up to. Because science always has minority opinions, even if it is but one individual. And that is why scientific discourse is more than just utilizing [it in] partisan politics. “

The last part leaves this statement open to everyone who wants to read this as a pro-science statement. Trouble is, Laschet has been using the fig-leave of scientific minority opinions for his partisan politics since the beginning of the pandemic.

The first huge cluster, by the way, happend in the state he still runs.

10 Likes

Omnishambles.

9 Likes

Bill Paxton aliens GIF

12 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

New English health minister thinks covid is just the flu:
“We are going to have to learn to accept the existence of Covid and find ways to cope with it – just as we already do with flu,”

11 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

The latest message from the “Kill grandma” crowd. Every step of the way, they keep trying to head us in the wrong direction.

16 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

Speaking at a Downing Street news conference, Mr Johnson said the ability to end a vast majority of legal restrictions in England was thanks to the success of the vaccine rollout.

But he warned cases were predicted to rise to 50,000 a day later this month and said “we must reconcile ourselves, sadly, to more deaths from Covid”.

Asshole.

18 Likes

You first, dePfeffel.

6 Likes

Why is Kate Middleton isolating even if she is vaccinated?

4 Likes

There’s probably extra caution because she is the mother of future kings of Britain.

After all, you can still transmit the virus even if you’ve been vaccinated, especially the Delta variant, which is harder on kids.

Oh, great, you pulled your post right when I was about to hit ‘reply’.

Edited to add: thanks for putting it back so I didn’t look like I was imagining things!

10 Likes

Found them:

16 Likes