Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Being a potential carrier in a cathedral full of people celebrating the anniversary of the NHS is not a good look.

6 Likes

Say what you will, he’s consistent.

11 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

TL;DR: monoclonal antibody therapy works, but less so for Delta (and potentially others with the same mutation) in vitro.

Another piece of a jigsaw indicating a immune escape relevance of this mutation.

8 Likes

Florida has got to Florida

10 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

I have no way to know if this will be the one, but it is only a matter of time, if we continue with this “just learn to live with it, let the bodies pile high” thought process, that one will arise with enough of a difference in it’s makeup to get around our current vaccines and have us scrambling to start over, in a setting where cooperation will be even harder to come by. Time is running short for a reasonably safe endpoint.

22 Likes

Do you think that the vaccine development process will at least be faster given the advances made with SARS-CoV-2?

1 Like

Oh yes, much faster. The mRNA technology is rapidly adaptable. My concern is that the anti-vaxxers would use this as “evidence” that vaccines don’t work, and more folks would listen this time.

18 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

One of the many effects of the pandemic, with details that show the complexity of the situation:

6 Likes

Several things about this make me suspicious. First, I have friends who’ve worked for companies like this - and not for long, because the middle man and cutting hourly rates has affected this service model, too. In that model, the people doing the writing don’t get to negotiate payment plans with anyone. Direct contact with the clients is controlled, to prevent writers and tutors from stealing them.

The whole narrative that more struggling people than wealthy people are doing this, and putting cheating in quotes says more about Anonymous and the editor of the piece than anything else.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Were your friends doing it recently? The market had changed significantly in the recent past with a lot of predatory companies pressuring learners into getting group discounts or providing social media (typically WhatsApp) for the class. I guarantee you it is not only wealthy students and it is definitely students working double shifts in service industries who form the bulk of the clients in most of the world.

I’ve seen this myself and met colleagues in the UK, Australia, and India to talk and share stories about this.

2 Likes

I saw that too, and it’s got me worried, even though I’m fully vaxxed. I’d hoped I could start going out and doing some normal things again, but now I’m not sure it’s safe enough for me to do so, even with a mask.

11 Likes

Yep, and when I do go out, even in stores which have signs insisting on wearing masks, almost no one does.

8 Likes