Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

7 Likes

Bad news…

Cities throughout Japan are putting the brakes on new reservations for vaccination. (Note: They JUST started sending out vaccination vouchers. I got mine a week ago…)

The reasoning is that they are anticipating shortages with an influx of people getting their first shot and they want to make sure that they have enough vaccine stocks to ensure that everyone who has already gotten their first shot will be able to get their second shot at the recommended interval.

7 Likes

Someone at Clorox is saying, “ok, hear me out, I know this doesn’t seem right, but what if we created a virus more contagious than covid? Don’t we owe that to the shareholders?”

7 Likes

Google to bake COVID-19 vaccine passport support into Android with Passes API update

Android will soon have the ability to store and display proof of Covid-19 vaccination, Google has said.

The ad search giant has confirmed that an update to its Passes API will allow authorised public health bodies and medical organisations to create a digital vaccination record, which can then be stored on a user’s smartphone.

Google said it planned to introduce the feature in the US initially, before rolling it out to other territories. It did not offer any clarity about which countries are next in line, so it probably isn’t a good idea to rip up your paper vaccination card just yet.

_These records will be stored locally on the user’s device, Google said. As was the case with the contact tracing API, the feature will support devices running versions of Android as old as 5.0 Lollipop. The Google Pay app, which is often used for showing tickets and boarding passes, will not be required.

[…]

7 Likes

BTW, 1st shot yesterday, 2nd shot scheduled in 6 weeks.

25 Likes

who-could-have-predicted-that

19 Likes

Good news today- We’re half way there:

50% of the population in Scotland have now had 2 doses of vaccine.

Only 13% are now unvaccinated, with people under 16 not eligible yet:

18 Likes

No? Really?

9 Likes

Finland is now at 59.6% of population for at least one shot, and 18.7% for two shots. (That means there’s 31.1% of population who’ve had just one shot of vaccine.)

I got an AZ for the first shot, and then Pfizer for the second. I had basically no side effects from the Pfizer. Hope it goes well for you, too!

13 Likes
16 Likes

I know that early on in the pandemic there were a lot of unknowns and officials were trying to err on the side of caution by closing down parks and other outdoor areas / activities that we now know were not as high risk for transmission, but dang, there seems to have been a serious downside to keeping so many kids sedentary indoors:

(According to the researchers these increased cases seem to be an issue with diet and exercise, not some kind of autoimmune thing caused by viral infection)

Fingers crossed that we don’t need to do more major lockdowns in the future, but if we do, I hope that they don’t completely shut down the hiking trails and parks again. With the risk of outdoor transmission so low it probably did more harm than good.

13 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

Waiting for the jab. They’re doing it differently today: stay seated and they wheel the cart down the row. Seat 4Q. It’s all part of the plan!

13 Likes

But antivaxxers will keep quoting it until the end of the human race.

6 Likes
10 Likes

Wow. The article below was the first thing that came to mind when looking at the headline. If there was no link to the virus as a cause, it still puts those children at greater risk if exposed to it in the future.

10 Likes

17 Likes

Doesn’t look like the seat 4 Q. They prefer rather the high seat.

encounter at farpoint star trek GIF

That said, If there ist a seat 4Q, is there also a seat 5G?
Asking for an anonymous Q.

star trek mariachi GIF

I’m currently not capable of a more complex discussion of stuff, but I’ll be back…

18 Likes