Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

In news that will make conservatives and conspiracy theorists blow their stack

6 Likes
7 Likes

Damn. Way down the asshole rabbit hole. Let him go, little to be lost.

8 Likes

I know this is on repeat, but never hang your hat on one study, no matter how interesting. This might be very interesting. Also might be utter bullshit. We shall see.

11 Likes
6 Likes

14 Likes

14 Likes

Well, for all my arguments about how “this doesn’t have to become endemic,” damned if these assholes aren’t gonna work their asses off to make me look like a fool. I can do that perfectly well my own damned self!

17 Likes

I have a question. I once suggested, at least to my wife, that we might be able to eliminate the yearly flu and/or maybe even the common cold, if we just stopped touching each other for a year. No hugs, kisses, cheek presses, handshakes, etc. Exceptions for a household “bubble”. Wear masks when in public. Social distancing. Like we’ve been doing for a year or more.

I understand the flu was very rare in fall/winter 2020/2021, and perhaps the common cold too. I’ve heard lots of people saying they’ve gone a year+ without a cold. But I’m pretty sure that trend is reversing now that some countries are opening up.

My question: where did the flu or common cold virus “hide out” during fall/winter 2020/2021, anticipating the eventual return to normalization? Where does it live if the hosts are really making it hard to spread?

8 Likes
10 Likes

They were getting paid no matter what: no money for R&D, but guaranteed purchase by the government when ready for use.

9 Likes

I had read (sorry, don’t remember where) that some influenza mutations died out due to all the isolation, hand washing, and mask wearing caused by covid. The article stated that the next few flu vaccines would be more effective since there were less strains around.

11 Likes

Whew, I’m glad one of you finally figured that out!

I’m one of the lucky ones that tends not to catch most things, and tends not to get all that sick when I do. But the past year+ has been even better in that regard, for both me and the missus, who is similarly blessed, immunologically speaking. Of course, I have long subscribed to the overly-hygenic-childhood theory of modern life, which suggests that it can’t be a real net positive long-term. I still like it, though.

For now.

7 Likes

UNVACCINATED DOCTOR

18 Likes
11 Likes

15 Likes

My state has an abysmal vaccination rate, worst in the US. Schools have already announced that there will be no mask requirement. My kid is 4 months shy of turning 12.

In my area, only the monopolistic hospital is giving the Pfizer jab, and they require a birth certificate for the young ones. I heard from a relative in a neighboring state that some pharmacies are giving the Pfizer vaccine there, and that the pharmacies are not requiring proof of age. Parents have coached their 10 and 11 year olds to give the birth year that makes them 12 and are getting them vaccinated now before school starts.

Obviously there are some ethical issues with this - not approved yet, what if your kid is one of the rare ones to have serious side effects, lying - and then there is the bureaucratic issue of the birthdate on the vaccination card not matching the birthdate on medical records, passport, etc.

So, if true, is this terrible and reprehensible, or is this a valid, if desperate, response to the crazy/stupid situation we are in here in low-vacs states, trying to protect our kids?

20 Likes

IMO, the latter. If the people who were put in place to protect you were doing their jobs, such desperate measures wouldn’t be necessary.

22 Likes

Yeah, I agree. You have to protect your family, even against your own government.

And FWIW, I doubt 4 months is really that important a distinction with a vaccine that has been cleared for every age down to 12, with every expectation that they will get full approval for every age as time goes on.

20 Likes

I don’t have any answers but I’m so sorry you’re stuck having to make a decision like that. I think if it were me I’d try to get them the vaccine sooner because I’m much more frightened of covid.

17 Likes