Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

21 posts were split to a new topic: Say there Dr., are you a Mr.? Maybe a Ms.?

And some weaponize antiscience sentiments to boost thier political career to the detriment of every one

ETA: I realize the headline is confusing. Here is one with a bit more info

15 Likes
11 Likes

The study method:

The NCHS team looked for several key terms including “long COVID,” “long haul COVID,” “chronic COVID” and “post COVID syndrome.”

while understandable, means that this unavoidably undercounts the actual total, probably quite dramatically. Long Covid will change the practice of medicine for decades to come.

16 Likes

I find Heather Mallick always worth the time.

Having long COVID is like walking underwater. You get there eventually. But after a while you get canny and stop trying. Your husband brings you ginger tea and salted chocolate. You watch the World Cup, unseeing. Fronds of news, Ukraine, femicide, Belgian radio stations, Prince Harry, guns, assisted death, wave gently in your watery head.

9 Likes

Big Pharma’s always gonna Big Pharma eventually, I guess.

15 Likes

NIH article on long COVID autopsies and how the virus can be found in every organ. This was a preprint but now fully peer-reviewed and published in Nature:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05542-y

12 Likes
5 Likes
15 Likes

No Way Reaction GIF by Laff

16 Likes

I’ve met people who swear by God that the Kit COVID saved their lives.

It doesn’t matter what you say, they will never believer you.

7 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

Don’t know, but I’ve got a feeling her version of it will be squinting her eyes and looking real hard at whatever nonsense she just wrote - then going “Yep, that’s not dumb at all” before hitting send or saying it out loud infront of a camera.

2 Likes

Fyi- new round of free tests available for USA

And the page to check expiration for older tests. A lot of the expiration dates were extended once more was understood
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

Edit to note USA only

13 Likes
9 Likes

don’t you mean pier review?

marge simpson swimming GIF

5 Likes

But but it doesn’t prevent infection.

10 Likes

Well, I think I don’t need COVID. So I got the booster. And the flu shot.

18 Likes

The last couple years brings us to this.

12 Likes