Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

12 Likes
11 Likes

And here we go again

10 Likes

Should I have two boosters by now?

Does it matter?

Should I wait until autumn?

3 Likes

FWIW, I am anticipating a major spike in the fall and am putting off my second booster until just before school starts. Also hoping to be able to wrangle this one:

I guess we shall see.

20 Likes

Wonder if the government will lock down Shanghai yet again, and how long the population is willing to accept that.

12 Likes

JHC

12 Likes

Same here. Good strategy but let’s hope there’s enough to go around then.

9 Likes
15 Likes

Who needs a vaccine?

13 Likes

The good part of Mr. Trudeau catching this again is that he gets to be the “crash test dummy” for getting COVID twice, raising awareness of the lingering threat of the disease… :thinking:

12 Likes

Everyone that I personally know who has had covid once seems to have had covid twice. I mean, aside from the one who died the first time.

12 Likes

People who caught Covid in first wave get ‘no immune boost’ from Omicron
The Guardian
Nicola Davis
Tue 14 Jun 2022 19.27 BST

People who caught Covid during the first wave of the pandemic get no boost to their immune response if they subsequently catch Omicron, a study of triple vaccinated people reports.
Experts say that while three doses of a Covid jab help to protect individuals against severe outcomes should they catch Omicron, previous infections can affect their immune response.

Which appears to connect with this story… Winter in :new_zealand: is proving difficult.

17 Likes

A New Test Can Help Reveal If You’re Immune to COVID-19

There are limits to what the test can reveal. Experts are still trying to find what are known as “correlates of protection” for COVID-19: measurable indicators that suggest an individual is protected enough that they are unlikely to get sick. For now, testing for antibodies or T cells can’t give you a yes-or-no answer about whether it’s safe to go to a concert or party without fear of catching the virus, for example. It just gives you one more data point to factor into your risk calculation.

10 Likes

Edit: Apparently to date it’s only been shown to be effective in the trials that focused mostly on unvaccinated folks who were older and have different risk factors, and may not be useful in typical vaccinated people at all. Shame we didn’t know that yet when the order was placed for $5b woth of these pills:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-05/pfizer-s-5-billion-bill-for-u-s-takes-big-bite-from-covid-aid

11 Likes
18 Likes

Tired Work GIF by TV Land

17 Likes
14 Likes

My wife follows some full time RVer groups, the advice they give to people with kids who are home schooling is to make their permanent residence Florida (they don’t have to live there full time) because Florida has the most lax home schooling rules of any state.

It kind of shows when you read stuff like that.

7 Likes

Who doesn’t want their kids to be stupid?

9 Likes