Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

On the plus side, this article is giving the Long COVID issue some much needed attention. However, I thought it was frustratingly vague with details. In particular, the total number of people cited as impacted was a back-of-the-envelope estimate. There is also no mention of ongoing work at Erlangen, which is connecting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Long COVID’s auto-immune manifestation (as the CDC does, as well).

More from DW aimed at a popular audience: BC 007: New drug combats fatigue

10 Likes

It seems a study is planned after enough BC-007 is produced for 30 patients.

5 Likes

Surprised?

No.

20 Likes

http://www.publicnow.com/view/C22A3C9A3E949DBD8789F9312D2D8390CCC40022

Sigh. MoRon is determined to out-Trump Trump.

12 Likes

Finally some somewhat reassuring news

17 Likes

1d20 instead of 1d10 … yay … I’m still going to wear a mask.

The subsequent omicron subvariants, … the up-and-coming BA.4 and BA.5, may have different profiles regarding long COVID risks.

I would love to see a study on Long COVID where viral reservoir, auto-immune, and organ damage risk is compared across variants. (Easy right? /s)

This “creates a significant public health burden of this disease with no known treatment, or even reliable diagnostic test,” Strain added.

OK… help me out here…

Is it:

• language barrier :de:/:uk:?
  • “not invented here”
  • we don’t understand what Erlangen is up to so ignore it
  • we don’t have time to understand it, so ignore it
  • let’s not get peoples’ hopes up
  • we think Erlangen is down a rabbit hole / “bunch of optometrists, what do they know?”
  • it’s really not that promising… really… and we do understand it…

or all of the above? I have yet to see any research group doing anything as coherent as what the Eye Clinic at Erlangen has been doing. They have a diagnostic test for, and probably have a cure for, the auto-immune case, and their work has at least got a plan.

Why do we keep hearing “no known treatment”, “no diagnosis”, “we’re in the dark” … ?

frustrating…

4 Likes

So… mask mandates ended this month in Ontario :canada: pretty much exactly where we see the bottom of the last dip… :slightly_frowning_face: :cry:

12 Likes

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

10 Likes

Lots of spin.

8 Likes
16 Likes
16 Likes

God, that’s awful.

13 Likes

Now a personal note. I’ve had flu-like symptoms for a few days now. Finally this morning I managed to take the test. Unfortunately the result was positive. Thank heavens I took the 4 doses of the vaccine recommended for my age. According to the doctor who attended me, the effects will be mild because of the shots.

27 Likes

I hope your recovery is swift and easy, friend.

21 Likes

Thank you. Obrigado. I am ok now. Due to the vaccine, the symptoms could be mild, but they are still unpleasant.

23 Likes

Here’s hoping you’re fully recovered soon!

20 Likes

Oh no! Get well soon!

20 Likes

Thank you very much. Thank God I’m fine. The doctor told me to stay at home for at least 5 days to avoid spreading the virus. She believes that by next Wednesday I should have recovered.

21 Likes

(online translator says)
Fique bem logo
(hope that’s accurate)

11 Likes

Thank you. It is very accurate.

I am well. The funny thing I realized this morning when I was taking a shower is that I’ve lost the sense of smell. I couldn’t smell the soap or the shampoo.

20 Likes