Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

16 Likes

I need to go find the original paper on this. If the defect is in the basement membrane or cellular junctions, that could go a long way to explaining the kidney and neurological issues seen as well. It would be nice to have a unified etiology for the various long covid complications, from the standpoint of finding therapeutics. I will be a bit (pleasantly) surprised if the bug is that accommodating, but we shall see.

Here it is:

Radiological findings, no anatomic correlates. The classic “further study is needed” results, but an interesting bit of data.

16 Likes

Yeah but as this short thread explains, an N95 while flying when so few other flyers are masking isn’t enough.

17 Likes

Angry Ufc GIF

12 Likes

If we’re still learning interesting things about measles, then COVID-19 will take a while.

Using a functional MRI where patients inhale xenon gas,

Previously, they’d had no luck at all using non-functional MRIs. (I kid! Functional programming causes the same eyebrow to twitch.)

13 Likes

Ugh
 thanks
 I just dropped two family members off at the airport. (Necessary trip, unfortunately.)

So (and the segue here is “why are the airports a mess?”)
 check this out from the economic data site of the U.S. FED St. Louis:

From 2016 to 2020 the U.S. labour force grew about 1.550 million per year. In June 2022 the number is 103,000 short of the January 2020 number. That means the U.S. is missing about 3,978,000 people from its labour force, or about 2.5% or one in 40. We know about 1,000,000 died in the :us: from COVID, but only about 270,000 of those were working age, so that probably accounts for maybe 170,000 of the missing workers, using a ballpark labour force participation rate of 63%.

I know that this has been keeping the economists up at night but the sheer scale was a surprise to me.

12 Likes

Eep!

Fingers crossed they were properly outfitted.

Season 1 Mask GIF by New Amsterdam

12 Likes

Page title tag: “The pandemic is nearly over.”

No paywall: archive.ph

10 Likes
17 Likes

Holy shit, that’s awful.

15 Likes

Yes. The number of the cases of Covid is growing in an alarming way. In two weeks the number of cases grow +52%. 226 people died since last week. The experts say that this number could be even higher, as people who bought tests in drugstores and got a positive result arenÂŽt obligated to tell the authorities.

Fortunately, the anti-vaccination movement is not strong in the country and about 78% of the population is immunized. The press says that around 47% of people have taken at least one booster dose and 13,000,000 children have had at least one dose and at least 7,800,000 children are fully immunized.

The problem is that even people who have had all the vaccine doses plus the booster shots can still get the disease. People from the so-called risk groups are susceptible to complications, hospitalizations and even dying from covid. Elderly, obese, people with hypertension, diabetes and other chronic diseases will always be at risk.

Many people have not had all the vaccines or boosters. Perhaps this, and the relaxation of hygiene measures, explains the increase in the number of cases. Authorities estimate that at least 1,500,000 people skiped the vaccines only in Rio. These people only had one dose and at about 6,000,000 people had not had any boosters.

17 Likes
19 Likes

On a plane now. Maybe 10 others on the plane masked. Joy

21 Likes

Sorry.

16 Likes

Are you in a bubble? Can you put yourself in a bubble?

13 Likes

With regards to the drop in the labor force, it has been a big topic of discussion among my colleagues.

But I have been making the argument that you had a huge amount of layoffs in March 2020. Workers were dropped in a NY minute and left on their own. When firms tried to bring workers back, they found they weren’t there. Loyalty is a two-way street.

As things rebounded, 1) some people realized they could do without these jobs, 2) some retired, and 3) some found out they could get better pay elsewhere.* Whatever the reason firms who had treated their workers as dispensable now had to scramble to hire and raised wages, making 3) more prevalent.

*it is much more complex with childcare needs, long Covid, mask and vax mandates, and the crappy way some of the public has treated front-line workers.

Of course if you listen to businesses’ political minions, it was the stimulus or lack of willingness to work.

10 Likes

yeah, still more “interesting” things to learn

17 Likes

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

15 Likes

Contrary to the myth that we are sliding into a comfortable evolutionary relationship with a common-cold-like, friendly virus, this is more like being trapped on a rollercoaster in a horror film.

Here in Ontario :canada: it looks like we’re on the way back up again on the Omicron coaster ride. Like clockwork, we are three weeks in from the masks coming off and hospital admissions are on the way up again.

15 Likes

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Stay safe, my friend.

14 Likes