Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Some COVID things I am tracking:

and

12 Likes

Sharp rise in UK, especially in hospital admissions

11 Likes
14 Likes

I have no words…

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

13 Likes

Lying when reciting the Hippocratic Oath is now required in Florida?

12 Likes

The comment about COVID was the best part of Wanda Sykes’ interview with Stephen Colbert (set at the 6:37 mark):

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

14 Likes

Where’s the herd immunity? Our research shows why Covid is still wreaking…

admittedly i haven’t read the article yet. but to answer the headline: i think we’re still waiting until 80-90% of the population is vaccinated. i don’t think you can get “herd immunity” until the herd is immunized

10 Likes

that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Also…

Clotted Cream Milk GIF by Libby’s Larder

10 Likes

Was Glastonbury to blame?

10 Likes

But Long COVID affects more people than many realize. In the U.S. alone, roughly one in five adults with a known previous case of COVID-19 currently has Long COVID symptoms, according to recent data from the National Center for Health Statistics. Others could be living with the condition without realizing it.

8 Likes

Glastonbury, Ascot, Wimbledon (and Platty Jubbly) – an opportunity to wipe out the upper/middle classes.

2 Likes

17 Likes

I just got back from a drive that was long enough to listen to two interesting podcasts which look back at the effect of COVID-19 and the pandemic on the lives of 6 teenagers.

The first part, third teen, is a humbling insight into the Kibera district near Nairobi, Kenya.

The second part has a rather wrenching story of a wildly fit, active young woman who became infected by COVID when “a few privileged kids” decided to hold a big party, got COVID, then came to school in the hopes of getting exams cancelled. The young woman in the story got long COVID… :frowning_face:

15 Likes
13 Likes
17 Likes

:frowning_face:

According to the ACQ, the cases of COVID-19 were found among counsellors. But an absent counsellor can deprive a dozen youth of supervision, says Beauchemin. “It’s a headache for organizations. If we are not able to maintain the prescribed [counsellor to child] ratios, we are in a situation where we have to stop the camp operations.”

Add to that, they have been struggling to get staff in the first place.

14 Likes

BA.2.75 may be the next variant of concern, making a splash in India, branching from BA.2 rather than a continuation of BA.4/5.

Via People’s CDC 7/4/22 weather report: People's CDC COVID-19 Weather Report | People's CDC

ETA: Also worth noting is the unprecedented sustained wastewater plateau, per the report: “This is the predictable result of removing all protections & allowing the virus to circulate freely.”

13 Likes

And in :new_zealand::frowning_with_open_mouth:

13 Likes

COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review | CDC

6 Likes

My daughter was a last-minute fill-in for a camp for deaf kids last year, which meant her criminal screening didn’t get back in time so she was legally never allowed to be alone with the kids. I can only imagine how hard the situation was for the camp director and the camp nurse, both of whom had to also fill in as approved guardians 24/7. And that was for a very small, specialized camp with only two sessions (based on age).

14 Likes